FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection and “communication error with the gateway” (Sagemcom)

arronharden
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

I’ve had no fibre internet connection since the early hours of this morning. All was working ok the night before and nothing has been changed with the setup.

When I try to login into the router it either hangs or gives me the error “communication error with the gateway” (screenshot attached).

Nothing has changed with my setup, landline is good and clear, and have spent 2 very long session with TT support going through all the usual troubleshooting and line tests. It was left that either I should pay a ‘Qube’ engineer to visit or borrow friends/neighbours router and retry with that(!).

Anybody had this problem with their router - it’s a Sagemcom?

I really doubt I’ll be able to borrow someone’s router to try it out and am loathed to pay for an engineer visit when there’s nothing to indicate it’s my problem.

Thanks, Arron

BA0F4D35-C992-4D1B-9ED9-58C9C69F8306.jpeg

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming and please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

arronharden
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 11

Hi, yes it's stayed connected and stable ever since I did that last factory reset.

- Arron

Message 3 of 11

Morning,

Thank you for confirming this. Can I just confirm, has the router now remained connected since your last post?

Thanks

arronharden
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 11

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk ,

I tried this evening to add in all my previous settings one by one, rebooting the router after each new setting and I've now got to the point where the router is still working and all my settings have been applied successfully. So unfortunately I've not been able to pin it down to which particular settings (or order in which they were applied) the firmware update which broke everything was unhappy with.

If it helps, the settings I'm talking about were:

* IP address (to 192.168.5.1)

* DHCP start and end (to 192.168.5.100 and 192.168.5.254 respectively)

* 4 reserved IP addresses 

* Static DNS Server Configuration to use OpenDNS (primary to 208.67.222.222, secondary to 208.67.220.220)

* DynDNS enabled to update account at changeip.com

* Both WiFi bands configured with SSID and WPA2 Personal passcode

* Turned off UPnP

* Added 1 port forwarding rule

* DNS WAN IPV4 DNS to use OpenDNS servers as above

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hello,

Our Products Team have asked which particular settings are you trying to add and at which point is the router then unable to connect again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hello,

Thanks for trying this. I've raised this over to our Products Team now and will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

arronharden
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 11

Morning, I’ve done the factory reset and it connects perfectly.

However, I then started to manually apply my old settings I’d taken screenshots of and upon restarting the router it locks up and fails to connect again. Another factory reset and it’s back connecting ok. Obviously something incompatible in the latest firmware upgrade to SG4K100130 with something in my settings.

The settings I applied were nothing crazy; change IP address, IP address reservations, port forwarding, WiFi name & password, DynDNS.

Anyway I’ve got it working without applying my old settings so I can at least do my day job today. I’ll have another go applying settings one by one later. If I find anything significant I’ll report back.

Overall pretty disappointing that despite the hours spent yesterday  with TT support no one told me my router had been updated the exact same time I reported a connection being lost. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration unplugging cables, turning it off and on again, and the suggestion I pay for an engineer to come visit and check everything.

- Arron

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 11

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please let us know how you get on following the router factory reset and if this is still happening following this.

Thanks

0 Likes

arronharden
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 11

Good spot @Skynet_TX ! Gives me something to try tomorrow at least.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @arronharden,

The firmware version displayed on your login screen is the brand new one, so it is likely your router has only very recently upgraded itself to that version, it is possible the upgrade itself may have caused the problem.

You could try a factory reset of the router by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, note that this would lose any settings you may have ever changed in the router.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.