FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No speed increase after upgrade to Fibre65

sgilks123
Conversation Starter
Message 39 of 39

Hi - my service was switched from Faster Fibre to Fibre 65 on 29/3 but downstream line rate and max rate are disappointing and below the minimum (48Mbps) & expected (49-61).

Here is what I have tried so far that are commonly suggested/asked to check:

- The phone line sounds clear (no crackling on the line)

- The line into the house terminates at a mk2 prefiltered master socket with the  modem wire and single phone plugged in - no other phones/sockets/wiring attached to the master socket.

- I've tried a) leaving it alone for 5 days to train; b) plugging directly into the test socket with a microfilter; c) switching back from my D-Link AC-1200 to a TT supplied DG8041W.

Each time leaving the connection off for 30-60mins, a&b no difference, c slightly slower connection speed.

- Used the service status on TT to check for line fault - it reset the router back to defaults but no other change

- Used the service status on TT to run a speedcheck from an ethernet connected laptop:

Speed to your router Status: Poor 40 Mbps download (As measured yesterday)
Speed to your device Status: Poor 35 Mbps download 6 Mbps upload
The guaranteed download speed to your home TalkTalk router is 48 Mbps

Is it possible for someone from TT to do some looking into this or does it need to wait for more training time?

Thanks Stuart

0 Likes
38 REPLIES 38

Message 1 of 39

Hi Stuart

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 39

Quick update 10 days on...

- DLM continues to adjust the line most nights but there are no discernable drop-outs

- still not hitting the guaranteed min but closer than before (44-47Mbps vs 49 min)

- upstream is significantly faster than before (12 vs 7Mbps)

It seems that's as good as the cabinet to house wiring will do so thanks for the OCE efforts working with OpenReach to get the best out of it & we can consider this closed.

Regards

Stuart

Message 3 of 39

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

sgilks123
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 39

@martswain- thanks, I'd come across that and there is some good info in there.

@ferguson- also thanks - since its all back in the intended/preferred router/config/cabling I'll monitor how connection stats go over the next couple of weeks hoping that DLM may judge the line as stable & error free enough to support a bit higher line rate.

Thanks Stuart

Message 5 of 39

@FritzCT There isn't a settling in period with fibre in the same way as there was with ADSL. Instead the connection will in the first instance start wide open and change actively over the first 48 hours or so as DLM monitors and adjusts. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 39

@sgilks123  and @FritzCT 

Here is a little light reading for you !

ZEN use BT Openreach DLM, although I believe they use the "speed" option whereas we get stability as our priority.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-wo...

0 Likes

Message 7 of 39

@sgilks123 wrote:

@martswainthx - that makes sense in that BTOR may have forced the line to a 4dB profile as part of their fault finding ahead of attending in person.

@Chris-TalkTalkThanks for the extra info - quick followup question...how long is recommended to wait without router reboots and swaps to let the DLM settle on the optimum profile? 

Please confirm

Thanks

Stuart

@sgilks123 I think the official answer is 10-14 days for the DLM to do its thing although some activity can happen in as quickly as 24 hours. Unofficially I've waited over 3 weeks before for the DLM to settle down.

0 Likes

sgilks123
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 39

@martswainthx - that makes sense in that BTOR may have forced the line to a 4dB profile as part of their fault finding ahead of attending in person.

@Chris-TalkTalkThanks for the extra info - quick followup question...how long is recommended to wait without router reboots and swaps to let the DLM settle on the optimum profile? 

Please confirm

Thanks

Stuart

0 Likes

Message 9 of 39

Hi Stuart,

A target SNR of 4db will usually give a slightly higher sync speed than 6db. DLM will generally set the SNR as low as 3db if the connection remains stable with a low error count. As Martin said, If DLM moves you to a profile with a higher target SNR this will be because either the number of disconnections and/or errors, fall outside acceptable limits on the faster (lower SNR) profile.

As Martin also said, we can't manually set profiles, profiles are automatically manged by DLM

Chris

Message 10 of 39

@sgilks123 

Nobody at TT can select a profile, it's all agreed between the company and Openreach as to what happens initially and for most fibre lines that is 6 dB.

After that the mysterious system that is DLM adjusts the line, if it allowed 4 dB and faster speeds for a while then there is some reason it has reverted to 6, not necessarily due to disconnections, it could be the cumulative errors which are unseen to you as the user.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 39

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.

Can you please explain the difference in the 6dB SNR target profile that my line has been reverted to and the 4dB profile that my line was switched to last weekend - the OpenReach engineer confirmed my understanding that the 4dB profile should give higher throughput by bringing the current rate closer to the max line rate - of course with the caveat that some lines may not tolerate the lower noise margin & be unstable (which mine wasn't during the period that it was applied for).

If that is the case what is the reason that the 4dB SNR target profile/setting can't be reapplied to my line as a potential resolution to try?

Thanks

Stuart

0 Likes

Message 12 of 39

Hi george1899,

As sgilks123 has said, if you need assistance can you please start your own thread

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 39

Hi sgilks123,

DLM automatically adjusts the profile to give the best speed while keeping disconnections and errors within acceptable limits, your current profile isn't capping your speed.

A further engineer visit would just be to confirm that there isn't any fault on the line that could be restricting the speed

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 39

@george1899 George - as multiple people are recommending (including the OCE admins) you need to start your own thread to get attention from the OCE team on this, otherwise your posts won't achieve anything.  Go up to the Fibre Broadband forum level and click the start a discussion button.

Regards Stuart

sgilks123_0-1619037204245.png

george1899
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 39

My Download speed hovers around 30 not 65!

George
0 Likes

Message 16 of 39

Thanks for the prompt reply Karl,

Your message sounds like there is a 2nd request to be made to Openreach to confirm this is the best that this line can provide?  Can you please clarify.

Appreciating that there is likely no fault on the line it would seem sensible to ensure that any options/alternative profiles have been tried which we do not seem to have confirmed at this point.

Thanks Stuart

0 Likes

Message 17 of 39

Hi

as the engineer did not find any issues, we could send a repeat engineer however if no faults are found, Openreach may declare the line cannot achieve further speeds.  If this is the case then we would not be able to send further engineers as Openreach would not see this as a fault.

If the speeds cannot be increased, then you would be allowed to leave without any early termination fees if you so wish.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 18 of 39

After >48hrs DSL uptime the downstream stats haven't really changed, the best numbers are using my own D-Link AC1200  with latest firmware, the numbers when using the TT supplied DG8041W & shown in ()

Current downstream line rate 43894 kbps (42029)

Maximum downstream line rate 59907 kbps (50388)

Downstream SNR 6.3 dB (6)

Downstream attenuation 12.8 dB (13.7)

Since OpenReach gave the line a clean bill of health but the line rate is below the minimum guarantee can you advise what the next steps are?

If further investigation is easier with the TT supplied modem installed then just let me know and I can swap it back in.

As a last thought...over last weekend OpenReach did switch the line to a 4dB SNR target profile, not sure if that might help?

Thanks

Stuart

0 Likes

Message 19 of 39

Hi sgilks123

The engineer has left notes to advise that they were unable to detect any faults.

Please let us know how the connection compares over the next few days.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 20 of 39

@george1899 

You won't get attention by posting on another customer's topic.

Please start your own topic detailing your product, minimum guaranteed speed,actual line rates and the result of a wired speed test.

0 Likes