FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach not installing fibre

Danuu
First Timer
Message 9 of 9

Hi I recently changed over from Virgin Media to TalkTalk and was told that an Openreach engineer was required to install it. Just a day before the appointment I received a text from Openreach that they will do all of it remotely and no one will come to install any fibre cable. Im confused, if I don’t have a fibre cable installed then I wont get any internet connection? 
the reason I left Virgin Media was because they cut my old fibre cable and were taking their sweet time to install a new one and now talktalk isnt even installing one??

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

Usually the work is external however when testing, if the engineer is unable to detect a socket at the end of the line, they will usually visit to check that this is connected. 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 9

@Skynet_TX  the OP has said the cable appears to have been cut in post #5 !

@Danuu , TT and Openreach will have identified that you property has a line, but if it has actually been cut then you need to make TT aware of this.

On your "go live" day the engineer will just be expecting to do external work and not attending your home.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 9

With Fibre 65 you don't get fibre installed to your home. Fibre runs from the telephone exchange to the street cabinet, then from the street cabinet to your home it just uses the copper phone line that goes to your BT / Openreach socket, so if you do have a copper phone line already connected between your home and the street cabinet an engineer will not need to do any work at your property.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Oh I see, im on fibre 65. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Michelle

Yes I have 2 phone sockets, one of them says BT Openreach and the other one just BT. And from the looks of it, the cable of the BT Openreach has been cut.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 9

@Danuu  TT and many other ISPs are allowed to call some products "Fibre" even if though that fibre terminates at the cabinet and the last part of the connection comes over a telephone line.

As above, it is important that you tell us exactly what product you have ordered and whether you have a BT/Openreach telephone socket on your property.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 9

Morning,

Just to confirm, is there a socket at the property?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Danuu,

What TalkTalk product have you subscribed to ?. Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 are Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) products, the wire from the cabinet to your home is still the same old copper phone line as you may already have (if you already have an Openreach master socket in your home).