FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbuilding Wifi

Philip h
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 11

Hi I am trying to use my router to give Wi-fi in an outbuilding using power line extenders. How do I assign a static IP address to the router

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

You do not need to enter a MAC address as @martswain has shown you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 11

Thanks I'll give it a go, just off now but I'll try later and then let you know

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

@Philip h  I think you are doing it on the WRONG page !

You need this one.

Screenshot 2021-06-02 142611.jpg

Message 4 of 11

@KeithFrench 

Thanks again. The router is :DG8041W-2. Having disabled DHCP I tried to allocate an IP address, but had to put in a MAC address, the MAC on the router is a 12 digit code that wasn't recognised when i tried to set it up

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

How are you connecting to the garage and do you want the TalkTalk router to be on the same subnet as the BT one. Generally, all you need to do is to allocate the TT router (which make/model?) a static IP address that is on the same IP network as the BT one & is outside of the DHCP server address range in the BT router. Disable the DHCP server in the TT router & connect it via one of its LAN ports back to one of the BT router's LAN ports. 

Then you will need to look at the WiFi channels & bandwidth in use on the BT routers & these other APs. The best way is via a WiFi Analyser.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi again @KeithFrench 

My main router is BT and I have a Talk Talk router I wanted to put in the outbuilding. I have already connected an old BT Hub5 this way in the back of the house (set to the same as the Hub so the Wi-fi is seamless) and was hoping to do the same.

I have in the past been unable to set up the BT smart Hubs in this was so don’t even know if I can with this (Talk Talk) one.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi @Philip h 

I am still not clear which IP address you are referring to.

TalkTalk do not support static IP addresses from the network to the router on residential packages, although DDNS can be used, so it is not a problem anyway. 

Alternatively, do you mean a static IP address on the WiFi extender on the same IP network as the router?

Once I understand what you want to achieve, I am sure that I can help you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi @KeithFrench,

My belief was I need to set the router a static IP address. When I tried this I had to assign an MAC for the router but the MAC on the back of the router was not in the right format.

I managed to do this (random chance I suspect) with an old BT router which works really well but I wanted to extend my system (big old house😀)

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi @Philip h 

Which IP address do you mean? The one allocated by your router to your PLA in the outbuilding, or the one allocated to the router from the broadband network?

Keith

martswain
Philosopher
Message 10 of 11

TT home broadband does not not offer static WAN IP addresses.

What exactly do you need to do ?

If you want to set a static IP address for the extender, log in to the router at 192.168.1.1 and go to the Advanced LAN pages, then for me it would be DHCP Static IP configuration

With my Huawei HUB, you need the MAC address of the device to do so.

If I've got this wrong, I am sure @KeithFrench will point both of us in the correct direction.