FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor device speed

Tom87y
Participant
Message 17 of 17

As image my device speed is ridiculously low. Its not just my device but also my partners phone we don't have games consoles or anything luckily! Tried rebooting the router various times, leaving it switched off for an hour were only trying to run 2 mobile phones and can't even get a decent spped. Stand no chance of streaming anything on the TV with those speeds?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 17

Better off the floor for sure, but in a cool and well-ventilated spot, not on top of a radiator!

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 17

"On top of a radiator cover?" Do you not think it might be a bit overheated? Have you tried moving it? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

OK thanks. Is your router situated close to any other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Disconnected them and doesn't seem to make much difference, may be a small increase in spped but without them we don't get Internet in the back rpom at all 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

OK thanks. Could you try disconnecting the power line adapters to see if they are causing any issues

Chris

0 Likes

Tom87y
Participant
Message 6 of 17

It doesn't seem to change anything our router is in the living room where we sit anyway but doesn't seem to improve if we stand right next to it 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi Tom87y,

All local wifi channels appear to be congested. Does the speed improve if you move the devices nearer to your router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Just tried it said channel 9 was the best connected to that and no better. Our device WiFi signal strength is showing as 1 bar. Now changed back to automatic 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Tom87y,

Have you tried Skynet_TX's suggestion?

Chris

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 17

Have you used an 'App' as mentioned in my earlier post to determine the best Wi-Fi channels to use in your environment, and then changed your router to use those channels ?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Yeah as my screenshot it is saying speed to the router is fine but coming from the router to all our devices is slow? It doesn't matter to us what speed your sending to the router it what the router is then sending to our devices that's causing an issue and yeah its every device we have so isn't a fault with our devices 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the speeds compare?

Thanks

Message 13 of 17

We don't have any wired devices to try apart from the talktalk TV box but that's connected using your powerlines. Will have a go at downloading the app you sent and let you know how we get on tomorrow 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 14 of 17

Do you have any devices connected to the router 'wired', if so can you run a speed test from one of those : https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

It may well be that you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference (e.g. a neighbour having a router broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel to yours). If you had a 'wired' device that gave a good speed test result then this would also be more evidence to suggest that you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference with your wireless devices.

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

What model of router do you have ?

0 Likes

Tom87y
Participant
Message 15 of 17

Now attachedNow attached

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @Tom87y,

I can't see any image attached to your post, so I'm not sure what speeds you are getting.

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds below that estimated range. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to the sync speed shown on your router.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes