FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor video call connections

bryanhughes
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Since switching from BT to TalkTalk just 4 weeks ago, the quality and stability of my video calls using Google Hangouts has dropped dramatically.

I have quite a few problems with broadband completely dropping out initially, which now seems to be stabilizing (router has not rebooted itself for 3 days, which is a massive improvement). The speed test suggest I am getting decent speeds for fibre broadband.

But when using video calls I am still getting messages tell me the network instability and keep losing picture or voice (or both sometimes).

I had none of these problems when using BT and I'm using the identical kit and setup. Only the provider and router has changed.

I'm now wishing I hadn't switched. Can anyone help please>?

Bryan Hughes
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi @JacobCissbury

Please can you create your own topic on the Community, we can then look into this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

JacobCissbury
First Timer
Message 2 of 12

Hi there,

We are experiencing the same with our WiFi, despite having been with TalkTalk for 2 years. It is impossible to get through a video call (even when no one else in the house is using the WiFi).

The connection seems OK from what I can tell on the account Dashboard, but the experience of using the WiFi here is far from OK! It makes working from home almost impossible.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Bryan

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 12

Yes please, that would be a good idea

Bryan Hughes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 12

Hi bryan,

Ok. As the line test is clear and the connection stats look ok, would you like us to send a different make and model of router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Message 6 of 12

That's difficult to tell with out moving my office setup downstairs. The key point here is running exactly the same set up with wireless network with BT less than 6 weeks ago, was far better than it appears to be now with Talk Talk, the only difference is the network and router, so I suspect the line must be dipping in and out.

Bryan Hughes
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 12

Hi bryan,

Thanks for confirming. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Does this also happen if you connect wired without the powerline adapters?

Thanks

Message 8 of 12

I am usually connected wirelessly, but have also tried wired using a TPLink powerline, which didn't seem to improve the connection.

Bryan Hughes
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 12

Hi bryan,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, are you connected wired or wireless when this happens?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

I am song a brand new SAGEMCOM FAST 5364 ROUTER  

Bryan Hughes
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Which router do you have?

Subject to that, if you would like the online support team to look into this for you make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond. Bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday.