FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post 136 Update problems

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I got that frustrating update on Sat morning, where the internet goes down and the router reboots constantly and your 'online line test' had a failure and your phone support were unable to help because their 'systems were down but call back in 2-3 hours', but of course they were still down whenever I called. 

I disconnected the fibre and managed to log onto the router long enough for a config backup, did a reset and restored the config. 

I was surprised that my wifi and firewall settings were not restored and, because the config file is binary rather than text, it meant I just had to figure them out again. 

All in all, a very frustrating time, so thanks TalkTalk... 

Since then the wifi seems very laggy - what was possible before is now not possible (online PS5 games with voice chat principally, but online games seem to be disrupted). I've looked at the forum and tried to see if I have missed something - wifi optimisation? auto-channel? However I seem to have another problem:

The 5Ghz wifi says 'status Down' - I have switched it off and on several times but it still says 'DOWN' *even though I am connected to it*. 

If I look at 'connected devices' I see 2 connected to 5Ghz.

If I click 'View My Wifi' I see 15 devices on 2.4 and 'Current status Disabled' on 5Ghz.

If I click on 'Manage advanced settings' I see the MACs of 2 devices under 5Ghz, and if I click on the cog wheel for settings I get 'Enabled ON' and 'Status DOWN'.

Has this update caused me problems that I can fix in Admin, or do I have a firmware error that requires a replacement router? 

Thanks,

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

Glad our team where able to help.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 14

Got the router last week and it's been running for a week now and everything looks good - the 5Ghz wifi is reporting as normal and noone has complained! Thanks for the quick resolution Debbie. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14
0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 14

Thanks, I will update here. 

Message 5 of 14

Hi stagbeetle

I have switched the WIFI optimisation off and also ordered the replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 14

Yes please, I won't need that and can test this evening whilst we wait.  

Can you still arrange a new router, because of the 5Gz disabled error may be symptomatic of a deeper problem. 

Message 7 of 14

Hi stagbeetle

WIFI optimisation monitors and picks the best channel for your line.

Some customers find they prefer to choose their wireless channels themselves.

0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 14

Sorry, not sure what you mean. On other routers I had 'boost wifi strength' options which I can't find on this router. 

I can already change the wifi channel, and have done so to see if it helps (there is no local congestion here at all so I didn't expect it to help). 

Does 'wifi optimisation' do something different from that? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi stagbeetle

Would you like me to switch off the WIFI optimisation so you can test different wireless channels first?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 14

Yes please.

Can you confirm that mentions I have read in the forum (wifi optimisation & auto-channels) are not something that would help with lag in the meantime? 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi stagbeetle

If you have tried this already and a factory reset then I will need to send you a replacement router. Would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

stagbeetle
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 14

Thanks,

I did on Saturday, twice. Not since the factory reset and restore though.

I can see that 30 minutes would help with a fibre connection but would it help with the 5Ghz 'DISABLED' error? 

Are there any settings I can tweak as well as switching it off and on? 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi stagbeetle

I'm sorry to hear this.

The firmware update should not affect this. Have you tried powering down your router for a full 30 minutes?

0 Likes