FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy issues fiber 65

anton2021
Participant
Message 13 of 13

92A0D7DE-610F-4CBE-865D-66A517BFB0A0.jpeg

 since moving home and the open reach engineer installed talk talk broadband I have been seeing this warning ⚠️ I never had it at my old address.. saying my internet use may be being recordered or monitored by someone else on the network. I tried changing setting on laptop through wi go router to wpa3 as advised but my laptop only has the option of wpa2 I reset the router a number of times but still gettin this concerning warning message.. what should I do 🤷🏾‍♂️

Live free
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

ferguson
Community Star
Message 1 of 13

Yeah, check out "iphone wifi security warning dns" on a search engine of your choice and happy reading!  🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Yeah I have tried that a few times but the message seems to come back again after 72 hours 🤷🏾‍♂️ But if it’s a well known issue.. I feel a bit better now 👍🏽

Live free

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 13

No problem. Bizarrely, if you "Forget" the network and then sign in again the message disappears. The mysterious world of Apple, eh?

Message 4 of 13

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.. appreciated 

Live free

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 13

I use Google DNS and I get this message on my iPhone. The internet is awash with discussions about this and the upshot is that there is nothing to worry about. It appears to be a technical point related to absence of DoH at router level as Keith mentioned. 

anton2021
Participant
Message 6 of 13

Cheers Keith for the replies.. and I’m not using a VPN yet just the standard wi fi router

Live free
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 13

DoH is the way of the future, it exists between your web browser & a DNS server that supports DoH, such as Google DNS. Currently, any ISP could technically see what websites you visit via your DNS requests, but not the content of that site or any responses you make on there.

Another possibility is to use a VPN, but that only encrypts traffic from your device to the VPN provider's VPN server in whatever country your DNS client is configured to use. Any DNS in the section from that VPN server & the DNS server such as Google again would not be encrypted. However, this hides everything from the ISP.

Are you using a VPN client on your device?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

anton2021
Participant
Message 8 of 13

I think the model of the wi do router is hulwei or something like that.. I only get these privacy wi fi warnings while using my I phone in settings when I reset the router it’s ok for a few days then comes back.. I’m not sure about changing the dns sounds a bit technical to me, I just want peace of mind that nobody can monitor or record everything I’m doing on talk talk wi fi fiber 65

Live free
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 13

DNS controls the mapping of the website entered in the browser's address bar and resolves this to the IP address associated with that site. With all webservers using encrypted HTTPS, your web traffic cannot be monitored, as it is encrypted. However, DNS normally is not encrypted & this DNS traffic could be monitored and the websites that you visit can be determined from there, although what you do in that web site can't.

There is now an option called Encrypted DNS or DNS over HTTPS (DoH). This totally encrypts these DNS requests thus hiding the websites that you visit.

However, for this to work, the browser must support DoH and it must be enabled within it, not all browsers may support this facility, as must the DNS server that you are using. As far as I am aware the only DNS servers that support DoH are:-

• Google DNS
  • OpenDNS
  • Cloudfare

You would have to configure whichever router that you have to pass one of these DNS servers to each device via DHCP (I can help with all configurations of the router if required).

There is a downside to this, depending on the speed that your broadband is running, this could slow down internet activity as these DNS servers will always take longer to reach as most of them are in the US & the closest DNS server by default, is the one in your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

anton2021
Participant
Message 10 of 13

8FDBAD5A-0757-4CAA-989C-23D7F086C1FF.jpeg

Live free
0 Likes

anton2021
Participant
Message 11 of 13

D4CAE6C1-47D3-4EB4-A29F-A4C93B79CB79.jpeg

 I also get a Ethernet is not connected sign come on tv when it is not sure of exact model where can I find it ?

Live free
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 13

Hello,

Which router are you using? (make and model) Have you tried factory resetting the router and then retested again. @KeithFrench - have you ever seen this before?

Thanks