FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Setting up Google Nest Router Mesh to improve wifi signal with Talk Talk

Marion57
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Got very poor internet with Talk Talk so daughter is trying to set up mesh with a Google Nest Wifi Router (no Google points being added as only small home) using existing talk talk router.   Nest wifi is now set up, but no improvement or change. Google say it's a double NAT issue and need Talk Talk to put modem into Bridge Mode, which they say will then sort the issue.  

Trying to get in touch with Talk Talk to get it put into bridge mode, but comments on similar threads here make me think this is not likely/possible?  So if this is the case, is my only option to get a different router? Please, any advice very grateful 

Thank you

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

I must admit I was surprised that you are trying to use a Mesh system in a small property, that would seem overkill to me. If this is sited as I think you said, near to the TT router, all you are doing is replacing one WiFi with another - you did at least disable the TT's WiFi didn't you? Otherwise, the two will interfere with each other.

I always recommend as a first step before purchasing any extra WiFi hardware to look at the congestion or WiFi interference as often it is possible to improve the WiFi reception with a few simple steps for nothing. I can help a lot with this.

Next, I would look to locate the router upstairs if possible near the middle of the house, if that is not possible, then look to buying a WiFi extender (not repeater). A true extender normally comes in a kit of two parts. The first unit is located near the TT router (WIFi enabled this time), via an Ethernet connection. the second extends that Ethernet over your mains wiring to the area where reception is bad and broadcasts out a WiFi signal from there. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 4

Ok, thank you for your response.  Do you or does anyone know of any alternative solutions? Is there any other way to get Nest Router to work with TT ?

Thank you

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

No TalkTalk router supports modem mode.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes