FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ethernet connections on the FAST 5364-3

RJP_Oxf
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

I am posting this for my father who is a TalkTalk subscriber.

(I am in France and have been trying to help him over the phone....)

He has just upgraded to fibre, and has replaced his old router with the FAST 5364-3 router.

He has a Dell PC running Windows 7 connected with an ethernet cable, and a Lenovo laptop running Windows10 connected via wifi.

Several times a day, usually for a period of about 40 minutes, the Dell loses the ability to access internet sites, although the icon shows that it is still connected to the internet. During this time the Lenovo is still able to access internet sites without a problem.

We have tried three different ethernet cables, and this hasn't improved things.

We have tried connecting to different ports on the router, and this might even have made things worse.

Whilst the computer is unable to connect to internet sites (there is a timeout error in the browser) it is still possible to log the route to a website using the cmd window and tracert.

The router is running in DHCP mode, and the DNS address is 192.168.1.1

Using Outlook for mail during the periods when the internet is not accessible leads to an error message 'Your outgoing SMTP server does not support SSL-secured connections'. Once internet access is restored, Outlook can send and retrieve messages without any problems.

The switch to fibre has been an unmitigated disaster. After the switchover they lost the use of their landline because (according to the TalkTalk technician who came out) the connections in the street cabinet had been bodged and were faulty. He's 93, caring for my mother who's housebound, and at his wit's end with this.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can talk him through?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 15

Hi RJP_Oxf,

Glad to hear that you've managed to resolve the issue. I'll arrange to send a returns bag for the router 

Thanks

Chris

Message 2 of 15

Well we have now purchased and installed a new computer,and the ethernet connection is fine, so I conclude that the problem was with the network card in the old computer.

We have not opened the replacement router that was sent, so how should we go about returning it? As I say, we have not even opened the package from TalkTalk....

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi RJP_Oxf

Thanks for keeping us updated, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

My father has received the new router, but I had also ordered a USB-ethernet adapter from Amazon so that we could test the ethernet connection with the Lenovo.

We tried this yesterday; when the Dell lost the connection to the website, the Lenovo remained connected.So it looks like it might be a problem with the Dell (which is now 8 years old) rather than the router. We have ordered a new computer, and we will try that before testing the replacement router.

Message 5 of 15

Message 6 of 15

Thank you! I'll keep you informed.

Message 7 of 15

Hi RJP_Oxf

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 15

Yes, my profile contains his name, home telephone number and mobile telephone number

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 15

Hi RJP_Oxf,

Sure, can I just confirm that you added your dad's name and home telephone to your Community Profile?

Thanks

Message 10 of 15

Thank you for your reply.

Yes please, could you send him a replacement router, and we'll test that.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 15

Hi RJP_Oxf,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Would you like us to send your dad a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

An additional piece of potentially useful information.

I asked my father to log on to the router, so that I could look at the router log file.

Having typed the router address into the browser (192.168.1.1) he got the router login screen.

It took him a little while to find the router password, and in the meantime the router closed the connection with a message about a Gateway problem, and it was then impossible to reconnect - the browser just shows a time out message when trying to connect to 192.168.1.1

And it is not longer possible to connect to any website.

0 Likes

RJP_Oxf
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 15

Some updates for anyone interested in the problem:

1. We have checked the driver for the network adapter (a Realtek) , and it is up to date

2. Turning the router off and on doesn't restore connectivity to web sites

3. A factory reset of the router doesn't restore connectivity to web sites

4. Whilst websites are inaccessible, it is still possible to contact them, via Nslookup, for example.

5. The possibility of connecting to a website is restored spontaneously after some time, without any intervention on either the router or the computer.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Please make sure your father's details are complete in Private Notes, in your community forum profile details,  @RJP_Oxf.

Go to your avatar/name; settings; from the dropdown menu that starts with "email" choose Personal Information. 

The section called Private Notes is at the end of that. Save changes. 

Staff will reply during business hours Monday-Friday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes