FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting to work VPN

PenguinRailroad
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Hi All,

I'm struggling to connect to my work network using VMware on my talktalk fibre. When I try to log in, after a long wait I just get a message saying the attempt to connect has timed out.

If I switch over to using my phone's 4G as a wifi hotspot, it connects immediately with no issues. I've tested it using both the wifi connection and also a direct connection with an ethernet cable, it doesn't work either way.

Other than this problem, my fibre works brilliantly and I've never had any connectivity issues.

I've read elsewhere in the forum that this might be an issue with my talktalk router, and that I should make a new topic with my issue so someone can check in on this for me? I hope this is the case 🙂 Thank you in advance for any help!

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi @justanothertalktalkuser the answer to your question is the same as that from the post previous to yours.

Please start your own thread.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

I am having the same issues, would I be able to get a new router to resolve this? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi @Samuelhyginus

Please can you create a new thread on the Community, we can then look into this further.

Can you also update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk telephone number (please do not post any personal information on the thread)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Samuelhyginus
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 16

Hi Im unable to connect to ym work laptop and hence they say they will mark me absent, please help me asap,

Sam
0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

I have the exact same problem.  Connection just times out, but 4G VPN access with a dongle works fine (but a bit slow!) 

@Debbie-TalkTalk I've created my own thread the other day but had no replies or anything, are you able to help here as not sure if my post is live or anything!!

Thanks!

I keep earning badges - It's like being in an episode of Hey Duggee!
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Glad to hear that it's working now, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi All,

I can confirm that I did receive the new router, and I've since set this up. I'm happy to advise that the VPN issues seem to be fixed now! Additionally, it is working on the new router whilst still using talktalk's DNS (I've not flipped it to google).

I waited a few days before replying to make sure that the fix 'sticks', as I moved more of the various other connected devices over to the new router.

Appreciate your help with sorting this, @Divsec@Karl-TalkTalk and @Debbie-TalkTalk. 🙂

Message 8 of 16

Hi PenguinRailroad

OCE_Karl has already sent the router, please let us know once you have received this.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 9 of 16

Hi @PenguinRailroad iit was just a thought I guess homesafe works on blacklists and your vpn might just have found its way on? 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk! Do I need to do anything to arrange the replacement, or does this get sorted at talktalk's end?

@Divsec, I did restart the router last night after changing the DNS, and it did appear that it had kept the changes, but I'll double check again when i'm back from work tonight. Likewise, i'll check whether I've got homesafe enabled. Is your point that having homesafe turned on might be preventing the VPN connecting normally?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi

The router is a few years old, so i'll swap this out for another model and see if this will help.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 12 of 16

Hi @PenguinRailroad thanks for the additional information and sorry the dns change hasn't sorted it.

Did the changes "stick" in the router settings and did you reboot the router after making the changes? 

I'm also wondering if you have homesafe enabled? I'm also probably clutching at straws as well and @Karl-TalkTalk will surely come up with some more effective suggestions. 

Message 13 of 16

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies!

I've switched the DNS over to Google as suggested. Though I actually had to tick 'Static DNS' before I could input the new values, not untick it as the instructions said on the talktalk 'Using 3rd Party DNS' page (not sure if that matters!).

Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the situation. I've tested it again both with the wifi connection and also by directly connecting my computer to the router with an ethernet cable, no difference in outcome.

To provide a bit more detail on precisely how it's failing, VMware Horizon is the app i'm using to try and log in remotely. The process in Horizon should normally be four stages, (i) I select the server address, (ii) I accept the disclaimer, (iii) I provide my user details (iv) I do a 2 factor authentication. When connected to my talktalk router, it does sometimes get past maybe the first stage or two, and in very rare cases it does finally manage to connect. But for 9/10 attempts, it times out between one of the stages, before I can get to the end of the login process and connect. The specific message I get is: 'Error: Timeout was reached.' At the moment, if I wish to remote log in I am forced to repeatedly attempt the log in process, and hope that it eventually lets it go through; in some instances i'm lucky and it does it after maybe 10 tries, other times it just will not do it at all and I give up after 15-20 mins of attempts.

In contrast to the above, if I try to connect using my phone's wifi hotspot, it always logs in fine on the first attempt.

Let me know if there's any info I can provide that could help with the diagnostics. I really appreciate your help here 😊

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi PenguinRailroad

You are using the HG633 router with the latest firmware and we have no issues with this device using VPN services.

Have you tried the DNS change as mentioned by Divsec ?

Have you also tested wired and over wifi to rule out a wireless issue etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Divsec
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @PenguinRailroad welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. A quick, probable solution is to change the dns settings. Using 3rd Party DNS  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are Google and usually do the trick.