FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Google Home loudspeakers and chromecast

DavidColquhoun
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

I have a Sagemcom dual band router.  I also have three Google Home loudspeakers and chromecast. Until recently, everything worked fine. I could cast to them from Android mobiles (x2) or laptop.  Recently this became very intermittent.  The reason seems to be that some of the devices connect to the 2.4 GHz band and others to the 5 Ghz band. So the phone is not visible to some of the other devices.  I seem to have solved it by renaming (in advanced settings) the 5 GHz band so now everything connects to the 2.4  GHz.  This works but it's not very satisfactory.  Is there  a better solution?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 4

This is alas a common problem with some smart devices.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

DavidColquhoun
First Timer
Message 2 of 4

Thanks very much KeithFrench.

The relevant devices are all Google products, and contacting Google isn't easy.

That being said, when I put my question on twitter, I was contacted, out of the blue, by an account @madebygoogle. It was they who suggested that the dual band was the problem,  so Google must already be aware of the problem. 

When I asked them how to rename the 5 GHz band they said ask the manufacturer!  That's equally difficult. In the end I worked out how to do it myself.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

There would be nothing wrong with the router, anything connected to either band has full access to the devices on the other band or any of the LAN ports.

However, the apps on some smart devices cannot cope with this & splitting the SSIDs is often the only way to resolve this. I personally do not like this method, I normally suggest keeping the SSIDs identical.  I think all you can do is ask the support people from the manufacturers of these smart devices why this is.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes