FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with voice calls over WiFi (WhatApp / Skype / Messenger)

costask
Participant
Message 16 of 16

Hi, 

For the past week, I have been unable to talk to my parents, who live abroad, using WhatApp calls / Skype / Messenger calls, because the connection keeps dropping after 2-3 sec and doesn't recover (I can still hear my parents, but they can't hear me). The same happens regardless of whether it's me calling them, or them calling me. They don't have any issues with other people, and when I call using 4G on my phone, everything works fine. Can you help fix this please? I trust this forum and its operators more than telephone support, who I suspect will not be able to help as they don't tend to be as knowledgeable.

Thank you. 

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi costask,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been checking the forum. The issue has been resolved, thank you. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi costask,

Thanks for the update 🙂 How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi,

I received the router today and I installed it. Unfortunately, nothing has changed regarding the issues 😞  I am getting concerned, because the line shows as OK on your end, but the router has been changed and I have used different devices, so I don't know what else it could be (other than the line). 

EDIT: I spent quite a bit of time on LiveChat to technical support, and as part of their usual step by step guide and troubleshooting, they instructed me to change the wireless channel. This was actually the first suggestion in this thread. At the time though, I thought you meant to change from 2.4 GHz to 5GHz and vice versa, which I had already tried. The instructions I was given on LiveChat specifically asked me to go to the router settings, and change the wireless channel for 2.4 GHz from auto to a specific channel. I then tried a test call, and it worked! Unless it was a fluke (I will try again tomorrow), this seems to have done it. I wish I had understood the instructions well the first time. Thanks again for the help. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi costask

No problem 🙂

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Fantastic, thank you so much @Debbie-TalkTalk 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi costask

The DSL3782 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 16

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk ,

If you could send the DSL3782, that would be great, thank you.

(I did call the Customer Service Team regarding the possibility of an upgrade to the WiFi hub, but the cost of £60 was higher than I thought and I don't think it justifies the upgrade for me, as long as I have a fully functioning service with the DSL3782).

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi costask

I can send a replacement DSL3782 router for testing. Alternatively if you contact our Customer Service Team then they can discuss sending a Wifi Hub.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 10 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk,

Thanks again for the quick reply, it is much appreciated.

I am not sure to be honest. I have Googled it a bit and most people seem to be saying that the D-link one might be the better option, but last year I actually had some issues with it, which however could have been down to just that particular item being faulty (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Broadband-keeps-dropping/m-p/2242176#M195782) While looking into the two routers online, I also read that TalkTalk has a newer one available (not sure about make or model, but I looked at the photos on the website and it looks different). Could that be an option, even if it is at an additional cost? If not, that's OK, I will just go with whichever option you would recommend.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi costask,

Thanks for the additional information. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Would you like us to send a HG633 or the 3782 router for testing purposes.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk,

I tried that today, and called my parents using WhatsApp. Unfortunately, the issue was still there. We had to hang up almost right away.

After that, I turned my laptop on, plugged in the Ethernet cable which is connected to the router, and used Skype to call them. Even though they could hear me this time, the sound quality was so bad that they couldn't make out the words I was saying. So eventually I had to call them from my landline, which of course costs quite a bit of money. 

If you are confident that the line is OK, perhaps the router is not working as it should? I am happy to send this back to TalkTalk, if it can provide me with a new one. 

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi costask,

Thanks for trying this. I've checked and the router currently has the latest version of firmware. Have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting this again?

Thanks

Message 14 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk. Thank you for looking into this and for the quick reply. I have just done a few tests. I tried both the 2.4 GHz as well as the 5 GHz networks, and they both had the issue. However, when I plugged in an Ethernet cable, I was able to make a call without the person on the other end losing the audio after a couple of seconds. The audio was a bit glitchy, but it worked... The router is a Huawei HG633.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Hi costask,

I'm really sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. Does this work ok if you connect wired?

Which router are you currently using? (make and model) Have you tried a few different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Thanks