FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Speeds. 4th time trying to sort this

richyrich6
Chat Champion
Message 68 of 68

I have had issues with speed since moved to fibre.each time spend hrs checking lines with talktalk (which is a waste of time) then open reach come out and say they cant make it better as the cables under the ground are old and long.

We go through the summer fine then bad weather  (especially wet weather ) comes and the issues start. Router needs resetting regularly , or very slow speeds sometimes getting limited to 6mbs needing unlocking by open reach.

This has just started happening again, firstly the speed rose from my normal 16-18mbs up to 30ish. but some days dome to less than one and other times any speed up to 30. this is on my laptop, wired pc and my iphone. I dont want to go through the rigmarole of checking lines etc again as we know there is a cable issue (or that is what is eluded to each time i get visited by open reach)

Any ideas what I can do to sort this once and for all. I pay good money for this service and rely on it for many reasone.

Please help

0 Likes
67 REPLIES 67

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 21 of 68

Hi richyrich6,

Thanks for trying this again. Could you let us know if you do experience any further issues with streaming Netflix over the next couple of days? I've re-read through your last posts, does the speed still immediately increase when you reboot the router and then gradually drop off again?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 22 of 68

just managed to watch a netflix film with no issues.

just tested at 16.08mbs

0 Likes

Message 23 of 68

Thanks

The intrusion alerts are just notifications that the router firewall has blocked intrusion attempts 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 68

Will do.

For info running at 25 at the moment

Mail very slow at recieving

Also what are the intrusion security alerts when looking at router stats.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 68

Would you be able to test Netflix again just to see if you're still experiencing the problem. It's just that the more information we have the more likely we are to find out what's causing the issue

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 68

not noticed any disconnections but given up watching netflix etc as never finished a film.

is there any software i can use to watch network activity to look for disconnects ?

Speed is very variable from 9 to 35 at about 20 at the moment.

when working we get solid 35 whenever tested.

the only way to get 35 seems to be by resetting router. BTOR have recently replaced a main cable near here where has brought speeds up but they talked about vectoring ? was possible an issue. They router takes almost 15 mins to connect once reset. cant think of any more relevant info

0 Likes

Message 27 of 68

Hi richyrich6,

Are you still experiencing disconnections - from our end the connection appears to have been stable since the 29th?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 28 of 68

still looking for old router but here are tests requested , wired with only laptop connected. For info the wireless figures were very similar

thanks for everyones help so far

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 29 of 68

Hi richyrich6,

Thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to retest with the 3782 router again to see how the throughput speed compares? If the speeds are still low then could you run a wired ping and trace route with only the one device connected and we can pass this over to our Network Team.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 30 of 68

we only connect the pc, laptop mobile phone and tv to it and nothing was being used at the time

is down to 14.5 on wifi at the moment

0 Likes

Message 31 of 68

Thanks for running the tests. Was anything else connected to the internet at the time that could have been using bandwidth?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 32 of 68

At the moment

Wifi from laptop about 14

Wired from laptop about 24

Wired from desktop about 20

Full speed is about 37 when working.

Wifi to tv netflix also drops out 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 68

OK, thanks for trying that.

Could you try a couple of wired speed test on speedtest.net and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 34 of 68

talktalk speed checker says cant do speed checks in my area.

0 Likes

Message 35 of 68

Hi richyrich6,

Could you try a couple of wired speed tests on the My Account speed checker and let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 68

not recently as just got this new hg633

attached latest speeds achieved

0 Likes

Message 37 of 68

Hi richyrich6,

Just to confirm, have you tested with both a 3782 and a HG633 router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 38 of 68

Nearly always wireless as they moved my master socket to the hall. I did check on wired connection with desktop with same results

0 Likes

Message 39 of 68

Hi

No issues showing here and last drop was on the 28th.

When the speed is low, are you using wireless or wired connections ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 40 of 68

Phone is fine no noises or issues.

today speed varied from 25 down to about 9 at the moment no logic to any of it

only get 35 occasionally now, normally after reset router when i get desperate.

Cheers

0 Likes