FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random network disconnections

Terry2000
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

Seems to happen only when playing specific games.

I'll be playing on diep and after 10 minutes or a couple of hours, I'll get randomly disconnected from the internet. It only seems to happen with this game and a couple of others. Most of the time it'll randomly disconnect and reconnect (between 5-10 seconds) and other times I'll have to manually reconnect. 

The router doesn't display anything other than being connected but I've read that the router can cause issues like these regardless. 

I can be doing anything else on the internet and everything will be fine. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Fast fibre 65. No packages/add ons etc. Scanned with malwarebytes and windows defender but nothing has come up apart from a couple of months ago when there was a bunch of riskware found. Nothing has been detected since so could there possibly be remnants of this riskware still active? Thanks.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

No problem, just let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

Message 2 of 20

Thank you Chris.

Although I may have to have this reversed in the future if the problem isn't fixed or causes additional problems. I appreciate you guys getting on board to help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Terry2000,

I've disabled wifi optimisation as requested

Thanks

Chris

Message 4 of 20

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for responding. I'd like the Wifi optimization to be disabled please. I've updated my profile accordingly.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Thanks Keith, I will go ahead and get it disabled and see if that has any affect on my situation. If not, I'll probably have it reversed because that's unnecessary hassle for you to take it further.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 20

OK, to summarise then:-

WiFi optimisation enabled

Poor performance, plus I cannot help you as any changes I suggest, this utility will revert them

WiFi optimisation Disabled

Initially, there probably will be no difference in performance, because the router will still be using the settings dictated by the optimisation utility. At this point, I can help you get your WiFi as good as is possible, based on how it is affected by your local environment.

The optimisation setting is totally reversible via TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 7 of 20

Hi Keith,

I did notice that post but she said she can switch off optimization hence why I was asking for further information before going ahead with it - so it hasn't actually been switched it off yet. 

When you said, "it's up to you", I was hoping that you would answer my queries on wifi optimization but we were on different pages at the time since you had already thought wifi optimization was switched off. It's an easy misunderstanding and it doesn't really matter so it's fine. 

One final question before I go ahead and have it switched off if I may. If I have it switched off, can things still function properly and run smoothly (in most cases) even without manually changing things? I ask this so then you can avoid the heavy lifting (diagnostic work).

I do appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help. Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 20

Sorry I thought that you had notice post #8 where Debbie from TalkTalk has already turned WiFi optimisation off, so I thought that you were referring to the help I have offered. Wifi optimisation when enabled IMHO makes things worse not better.

You would only have to manually do what I might suggest if you want my help & I have seen the results of the diagnostics that I would recommend. I do all the difficult stuff for you.

It's up to you, simply refers to do you want my help or not, I cannot keep offering.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 9 of 20

Hi Keith,

Perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I'm referring specifically to switching off "wifi optimization" which is what you suggested. I'm asking you, in your experience, whether you believe switching this off normally helps resolve this particular issue. Also, if there are any downsides to having this done. 

When you said "it's up to you", I thought you were talking about wifi optimization. I'd like to try this if you think it will help before running any diagnostics. If I do have this done (switched off), will I need to manually do anything myself in future to make up for it being switched off?

Thanks Keith and I apologize if I'm not being clear in how I'm coming across.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 20

These are diagnostics, nothing would be done unless I see any problems. I have helped an awful lot of TalkTalk customers with WiFi interference problems (if that is what the problem is - my first goal is to prove if this is the issue). I am often asked to help in these matters by TalkTalk as well. The choice is yours, you certainly do not have to take me up on my offer of help.

Keith

Message 11 of 20

Hi Keith,

I don't make decisions unless I know what I'm in for. Are there any downsides to doing this? If I disable it, will I see any problems? And is this problem likely to be resolved, in your experience, from having this done?

Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 20

It's up to you.

Keith

Message 13 of 20

Hi Terry2000

I can switch off the WIFI optimisation. Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Keith,

Thanks again for putting in the time to help out.

The thing is is that when playing games that require much more out of my pc, this issue NEVER occurs. It's only a couple of games (including diep) where this happens. My internet speed remains at a constant 65 mbps download and 20 upload. As I said, the white light on the router remains constant 24/7.  I tested this issue at all times (even 2am, 3am etc) and it happens even at these hours when everyone else is asleep. As you said, other networks could cause the problem. There are a few around that are always on but it seems very strange that the bigger games that slow down the pc never have these issues - how can that be?

As for your question regarding optimisation, as far as I'm aware I've not had anything changed. Would you recommend that I do have it disabled? Do you think it will fix my issue? Are there any downsides to having this disabled?

I would be more than happy to give you some diagnostic results if you would be willing to assist me further. 

Thank you very much.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 20

OK, thanks for confirming, you have the Sagemcom FAST5364 Wi-Fi Hub (router). I think although this only happens when playing games, this is possibly down to WiFi interference as games normally require fairly high speed & WiFi interference slows you down.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Message 16 of 20

Hi Keith,

The router has the copper colour behind the holes as shown in the picture from the link I gave.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 20

There are two that look almost identical, but are different none the less. Crucially, does it have the copper colour behind the holes on the front, as per the one you think it is, or is it black behind the holes?

Keith

Message 18 of 20

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Wireless. Windows PC. Excuse my ignorance but I'm unsure of the make/model of the router. It was supplied to me when I started a new contract late 2018. This is identical to the one I have so it's probably the same.. 

https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

Thanks again.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

What make/model of router are you using? How do you connect to the router, via Ethernet (wired) or Wireless? Is this a Windows PC you are using?

Keith