FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really fed up with this awful connection

ghera2711
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

I have been with Talk Talk for almost a yera now. This connection is the worst I have ever had. 

The router keeps disconnecting ever 5-10 minutes. I can't even watch Netflix. 

I complained immediately after the router was installed, they have done some "checks" and everything was fine from their side. They sent a technician to "solve" it but nothing changed. 

I am stuck with this terrible service for more than 1 year but I am seriously thinking of paying the fee and subscibe with a serious provider. Talk talk is the cheapest because it is the worst. I discourage everybody to subscribe for a contract with them. Really unsatisfied and fed up with it.

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

I can hardly make anything out from these screenshots, because they are way too small. If I download them & enlarge them, they are still too small & all the text is then out of focus. In future please take the screenshots with Acrylic maximised & upload them via the Photos button as "Large" images.

However, I think I can make out the problem even though, assuming you did highlight your SSID (network name) on the 2.4GHz channel view. Your suffering a lot of interference on channel 6, you need to reduce the channel bandwidth to "20MHz only", otherwise you will always get interference in this band & move to either channel 1 or 11 (see my guide on how to do this).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 21

Hi, tonight I didn't notice the usual issues but I have done the test anyway. Here are the results

Thank you

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Thank you Keith, 

I will do it as soon as go back home 

regards

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

The whole point of this forum is that anyone can try & help anyone else, not just the TalkTalk OCEs. I am often asked by the OCEs to help on their behalf. I do not charge anything for my services at all, but I do need you to co-operate with what I ask.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 21

Hi Keith, 

clearly I need help, but since I pay £32 / month I expect TalkTalk to offer help, not a keen (and kind) customer. I asked for help 3-4 times to TalkTalk and the customer service is ridiculously poor. Eventually they sent a technician that just checked the network up to my building, while clearly the issue is the modem itself. 

I am happy to accept your help Keith, even if it is not the way it should be. 

Please let me know what you think I should do to fix this issue. 

Thank you 

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi ghera2711

Keith can really help with WiFi issues if you follow his advice and work with him.  He has been solving these type of issues for many years and has a wealth of experience in this area.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 7 of 21

Please read the last two paragraphs of my post on 26-02-2019 11:02 AM and then again my post from 19-05-2019 11:54 AM.

I keep offering you help, but you never have said you want it. 

Keith

Message 8 of 21

The stability of the WiFi is getting worse and worse. Yesterday I couldn’t manage to have 2-3 minute call on WhatsApp because the WiFi kept dropping all the time. 

I am seriously thinking to cancel my contract and get a serious provider. 

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

I am not surprised, if you had read the last two paragraphs of my last post, I did say it fixed nothing & that if you want my help, then let me know.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi, 

this didn’t fix the issue. 

I am now using a 20 mt cable crossing my corridor to use the wired network. 

Awful. I can’t wait to change provider. 

thank you 

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The HG633 is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

An alternative is to use band steering. This will automatically move any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz band, providing better performance for the device & fewer devices are then subject to the interference on the 2.4GHz band. To enable this, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 21

Hi ghera2711,

Thanks for letting us know. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any more advice in regards to the wireless connection?

Thanks

Message 13 of 21

After few months of test I can confidently say that wired connection is ok and WIFI is still awful on mobile devices.

Thank you

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi ghera2711,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on. If the wired connection is ok then we can focus on the wireless.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi MIchelle, 

the failure doesn't happen all the time. It is almost ocntinuous during the evening/night. 

Other colleagues of you did the test during the day and didn't notice anything. 

I will try with cabled newtork and let you knwo

Thanks

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi ghera2711,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent and the connection also looks stable. The router also has the latest version of firmware.

Would it be possible to connect wired for a short period of time to see how both the stability and speed compares and so we can confirm if this is related to the wireless connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Done. 

Thank you

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi

1  - HUAWEI HG633, version H.1.01
2 - Some of the green lights go OFF and a red light starts blinking. I have to check which one does what if needed.

3 -  I don't use wilred connections, but PC, phone, ipad and TV get disconnected fromt he WIFI at the same time

Thank you

alessandro gherardi
0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 21

Hi ghera2711

In addition to Keith's questions, can you also add your home phone number to your Community Profile so we can look into this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it) and what firmware version is it running?
2. What is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router when this happens?
3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith