FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for alternative modem/router

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 94 of 94

EDIT: 

I am looking for a recommendation for either a VDSL2 modem only, to connect my existing (Netgear) router, or a VDSL router/modem to completely replace any other which will allow me to control my network. 

Moderator Note: Please disregard the later points here which have been addressed.

I have just installed the router I was sent by TalkTalk to accommodate my upgrade to fibre

It is a FAST5364 3.00, Software Version SG4K1100014

It is an incredibly basic device with less functionality than any router I know of

It is so basic that I can't even use it just as a modem with my own decent router as, almost uniquely among modem/routers, it can be put into neither modem nor bridge mode

I will, as soon as practical, replace it with a VDSL modem (can anybody recommend one please?)

Interestingly though, although I have been told that there is no way to find details on the usage of individual devices, I was alarmed to find that by logging into TalkTalk's Service Centre, they have details about all of my attached devices and what they are doing.

So, if the router can't supply this information, where is the 'service centre' getting it from ?

I can only assume thatTalkTalk have installed spying software into the device.

Can somebody confirm that when I bin the FAST5364 that they will no longer be able to pry like this

Thanks

0 Likes
93 REPLIES 93

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 94

@Birchcroft 

If I can put it back on market at a good price for quick sale, I am now down to risking only about £20 or £30

I will have to get something quite soon though as the Fast5364 randomly knocks devices* off the WiFi (possibly due to its randomly changing channels) All of my WiFi connections are now through my old Netgear DGND3700V2 (a very stable router, but sadly not VDSL)  Ethernet connected to 5364.

* Hell hath no fury like when 'er indoors is thrown off Facebook !

0 Likes

Message 2 of 94

@MikeP2022  Given the 2762 has now been replaced by an updated model it's unsurprising there are a few on the 2nd hand market at a reasonable price. If your happy with what you've seen on the emulator then it's well worth getting one to try, after all you can always put it back on eBay should it not be suitable 🙂

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 94

@Birchcroft 

Yes, that does help, thanks

The newer 28 and 29 series units are quite expensive. But there are a stack of refurb 2762ac for less than £100 available and, as I neither really need G.fast speeds nor do I have a vast and complex network, and as you have had no problems with yours, I may well try one of those
A risk of 25G (that is 25 pints of Guinness, my standard price and value comparison), seems appropriate

0 Likes

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 94

@Birchcroft 

The emulators can be found here.

1) All equipment should have emulators

2) Wow !  Now that is what a router GUI should look like

Thanks

Message 5 of 94

Hi @@MikeP2022 your right if you need WiFi you would need the 2765ac (or 2766ac for g.fast).  They also do the higher spec 28 & 29 series router's.

I have the 2762ac with standard aerials and so far have had no problems with connectivity or performance but my requirements aren't too demanding.  High gain aerials, APs, and Mesh options are available if you need to boost WiFi range/power.

My reasons for choosing the 2762 were:

1. The very flexible firewall and CSM controls. These allow me to lock down my IoT devices ( it's surprising how hard some of them try to phone home on the quiet) and control access to peer-to-peer apps etc.

2. The virtual LANs.

3. The VPN server which allows me to access my home network remotely.

I've found it has met my needs well and I've not had any serious problems with it and have found their knowledge base & support helpful.

I would recommend that you have a play with the online UI emulator to get an idea of the router's features and how well you will get on with the UI.  The emulators can be found here.

I hope this helps.

Finally another family of routers you might like to consider are Fritzbox.

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 94

@Birchcroft 

Thankyou so much for the constructive reply

I already use my own DNS servers and I have VPNs installed on all PCs and phones

I have looked up the Vigor range and at first I thought "wow, thats a good price" Until I realised that both the 2762 and 2765 are both a series of routers and the one I was looking at had no wi-fi !.

I guess the one I need is the 2765ac (or 2766ac if I want it to be G.fast capable) ?
They have had mixed reviews. How does yours perform, I am assuming 2762ac?

0 Likes

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 7 of 94

@MikeP2022what constitutes a suitable modem/router depends on what facilities you want and how much you are willing to spend.  If I remember correctly previously you indicated that you already have a router you like.  If this is the case then I would recommend that you look at the Draytek Vigor 130 modem, as mentioned in a previous post.  If you want a combined modem/router then I suggest that you look at the Draytek Vigor range.  I use a Vigor 2762 ( now superceded by the 2765) it provides reasonable all-round performance along with a good flexible firewall, VPN server, QoS, bandwidth management, access control/scheduling etc, also they have an excellent online knowledge base.   Of course ASUS, Netgear, and Linksys also produce good kit, you could also ask your network manager what they would recommend.

Whichever device you choose TalkTalk will not be able to see your internal network and if you wish you could further restrict what  they can see regarding your usage by configuring your router to use alternative DNS servers and/or a VPN.

Finally, don't bin your TalkTalk router as you may need to return it if you leave TalkTalk.

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 8 of 94

@ferguson 

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 9 of 94

Checking.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 94

Done.

0 Likes

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 94

@ferguson  OK but should that be VDSL2  just to be precise?

thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 12 of 94

I would have thought "Recommendations for alternative VDSL Modem/Router" might be better?

0 Likes

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 94

@ferguson 

Ah. I was unaware I could do that.   Yes please could you change that to "Recommendation for Fast5364 replacement please"

Thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 14 of 94

@MikeP2022 Perhaps it would help if you edited the topic title to something more suitable? Or I can do that if you like?

0 Likes

MikeP2022
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 94

OK thanks @KeithFrench  and @ferguson 

You don;t have to try to answer everything, really I don' mind if youI stop posting in this thread, that is fine, 

I will wait for anybody with suggestions of equipment

Oh and yes I can log into my account from anywhere in the world

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 16 of 94

@KeithFrench The OP has now narrowed down their request to suggestions for alternative modem/routers. I suggest they try searching the forums where many others have posted their recommendations and experiences in the past. Or more widely via a search engine of their choice. Whether these would work on a TTB connection we cannot of course know for certain. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 94

Hi @ferguson 

I am exhausted with this thread and I suggested to @MikeP2022 that he use his Sagemcom in the manner I suggested near the start (Sagemcom LAN to 3rd party router WAN) & he confirmed it worked very well. 

If I suggested anything else, we'll be going round & round in circles again, please no more on this thread (that is my opinion obviously).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 94

Sorry @KeithFrench I disagree, I would hate to see this start all over again!

@MikeP2022 I am sure you had at least one suggestion near the outset?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 19 of 94

See if My Account still works with an IP in Latvia?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 94

I think with the length of this thread, it would be much better now if you created a new thread for this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes