FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced download/upload speed and regular disconnections (also live chat not connecting?)

Defenestrated
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

Having a lot of trouble getting in touch with TalkTalk tech support about this - the live chat on the technical support section of the site isn’t working (throwing Javascript errors), and the message function on the mobile app is also not connecting or sending my messages. I also can’t call easily due to a lack of mobile signal in our flat, so I’m almost out of ways to get in touch.

Over the last few weeks we have been getting significantly reduced speed (~28-33Mbps despite a “guaranteed” 45+, and only 2-3Mbps upload - it seems to be gradually slowing too) along with regular disconnections (the router stating it’s disconnected). The router itself is confirming these speeds on the admin interface, and it’s consistent across all our wired and wireless devices so definitely seems to be an issue either with the router or the actual connection

So far I have done the following troubleshooting:

- replaced the microfilter and the adsl cable to the router

- tried the BT test socket

- replaced the Cat6 cable to my desktop PC

- factory reset the router to original settings

- disconnected and switched off the router for 30+ minutes

- tried different public DNS servers

- tested speed on multiple devices

- disconnected all but one device to test the speed

None of these things have made any difference to either the speeds or the seemingly random disconnections

I believe there is an open ticket but I also cannot access the live chat on the website as the Start Chat link is unresponsive and giving a Javascript error.

Router versions:

Hardware Version: FAST5364 3.00

Software Version: SG4K10002816t

This has been ongoing for at least a few weeks, but prior to this we had no issues and were generally getting between 55-60Mbps down/19Mbps up.

I believe it seems to be an issue either with the router or with the connection coming into the property and I’m hoping someone can arrange to either send a replacement router to try or to have an engineer check the line please? The router itself is reflecting the speed reduction so it’s definitely not our connected devices having issues.

Thanks

Tim

7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Tim

Apologies for this.

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Defenestrated
First Timer
Message 2 of 8

Hi

We received and connected up the replacement router today (along with a new microfilter and cable) - thank you sending it out quickly. Unfortunately so far however it's disconnected again 4 times in 2 hours. I don't know if there's likely to be a bit of instability initially with a new router but it doesn't seem to have improved things so far - not sure how long to leave it?

I ran another line test with the new router connected via the service center and it seemed to stop prematurely (Step 1 of 2, then jumped straight to a "Need help with anything else?" page). I then received an email saying my connection was working as it should be, which is what was happening before intermittently.

(it's disconnected again while I was writing this post)

Many thanks

Tim

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi Tim

The router is on its way please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 8

Hi Michelle,

Many thanks for your reply. I don’t have a suitable spare router sadly so if it’s possible to get a second one to try sent out that would be fantastic thank you.

Many thanks

Tim

Message 5 of 8

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. The line test has detected a potential fault towards the property and the sync speed has dropped and the connection looks unstable. Just to confirm, have you ever tested with a different router? If not then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out. 

We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Message 6 of 8

Hi Skynet_TX

I’ve been through the connection tests on the service centre about a dozen times already sadly - it will either state there’s no detected issue, or say there’s a problem found and that I need to start a chat session (which then won’t open as the button throws a javascript error). Currently it’s showing an open ticket, but I can’t open the live chat on any device to actually speak to someone. Even on the app it just keeps saying it can’t connect (even if the internet is currently up).

We don’t have a landline phone but I might see if I can borrow one to test it.

Hopefully like you say one of the Talktalk team can get back to me tomorrow 🙂

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Defenestrated,

If the router is regularly losing connection with the internet (white light going off, then flashing amber, then amber/white before going back to solid white) then this will have a knock on effect on your speeds. The equipment in the street cabinet will reduce your speeds in an attempt to stabilise your connection. However once the cause of the disconnections was resolved the speeds should start to increase again within a few days.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

If your router light is not following the pattern I describe above can you clarify if the light does do anything when you have these disconnections.

0 Likes