FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnection of openreach g.fast modem

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 20 of 20

There has been an intermittent connection fault with my internet since 20 April 2021. This date is when I changed to g.fast Fibre 150. I had no problem for many years before this.

The problem is that the internet is completely lost and there no connection. I can sometimes get it back up by switching the Openreach modem (openreach G.fast Modem Model MT992) on and off. Alternatively, I can also get it back up by unplugging the cable to the Openreach master socket. It also often comes back up without my involvement. The connection loss may occur several times a day. Note, when line goes down the openreach g.fast modem DSL and internet lights go out and the LAN and power lights stay on. Once I have switched the modem on and off the DSL light flashes slowly, then faster and is then solid. The internet light then comes on solid and the connection is restored (sometimes!)

The problem occurs with both the supplied TalkTalk router (TalkTalk Wi-Fil Hub Device Ver.: FAST 5364-3. T8) and my own TP-link router (TP-Link AC2600 Wireless Gifabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router. Model Archer VR2600). My connection worked fine with the TP-Link router before the changeover to the Fibre 150, also when the internet goes down my internal network works fine. It therefore appears not to be a router problem.

I guess the problem is either with the Openreach modem or my new Fibre 150 line installation.

I have had no luck with the talktalk telephone help line or writing letters, so I hope someone here can help.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how the connection compares over the next few weeks.

Thanks

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 2 of 20

Just to let you know the openreach engineer came yesterday. The line now appears to be working and has be up for neary 24 hours; which is a good sign. However, given my last experience, I think we need to wait a month or more before I am convinced everything is OK.

Mike

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20
0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 4 of 20

Thank you, I will let you know what happens.

Mike

Message 5 of 20

Hi Mike

The line test is now detecting a potential issue.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 12/11 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 6 of 20

I just did a line test as the line was down for an unusual length of time (all night and not connecting) I got the following result

We suspect an issue with your broadband

We need to run a line test between our network and your home.

During the test, your broadband and phone line will temporarily disconnect.

In order for us to keep you updated, we need your mobile number

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 7 of 20

I can confirm that the potential engineer charges are fine. I am not available tomorrow or the 17th November, all other dates in November (am or pm) are fine.

Mike

Message 8 of 20

Hi Mike

Please can you confirm potential engineer charges and provide your availability for this visit  AM and PM?

Engineer charges

Thanks

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 9 of 20

An engineer visit will be good, thank you.

Mike

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 20

Hi Mike

Thanks for confirming this.

If you have tested with a different router and are still experiencing this fault then we will need to arrange another engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 11 of 20

Nothing has changed at all and the line was down most of the night and early morning. I am afraid I have been through this before, there were many line checks from TalkTalk (usually via your telephone helpline people) and they did not detect a fault. In fact, I was surprised when you detected a fault. It was only when the engineer came that the line went back to normal for a few weeks.

I think this is a very unusual fault. As stated in my first post I have checked my system by using two different routers (see post for details). It is difficult to see how it can be me as the g.fast modem is independent of my system and I connect my router directly to it. The lights on the g.fast modem show a loss of the line and my router and interna network work fine (more details in my first post). If you have any ideas how I can do further checks then I can have a go.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi Mike

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I've completed another line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Has anything changed with your set up since the last engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

MikeS7
First Timer
Message 13 of 20

Thank you for sending an Openreach engineer on 13th October. The engineer replaced my g.fast modem and checked the local cabinet. I am not sure exactly what he did in the cabinet. The line has worked fine until the 3rd November, but now exactly the same problem has started again.   The problem is as I reported in my first post, with no internet connection for long periods of time. Sometimes I can get it back by unplugging the cable to the Openreach master socket

I am not sure what the best course of action is, will another visit by the engineer fix it? Perhaps the best things is to put me back on my old connection and forget about the g.fast fibre to cabinet connection.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hi Mike

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 13/10 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 15 of 20

Hi Mike

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Yes, that would be great.

Thank you

Mike

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi Mike

Thank you.

I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange an engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 20

I have now added these.

Mike

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 20

Hi MikeS7

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes