FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnects

JBF12
Popular Poster
Message 30 of 30

I have been having regular disconnects since I switched to Fibre (from TalkTalk ADSL) just after Christmas. These can range from a couple of times a day to having 2-3 days without issue.

I have been through all the line tests, repeatedly, and had two openreach engineer visits which found nothing of any great interest on the line itself. My master box was replaced during one of these visits.

After the second visit some months ago, with everything bar the modem having been checked and/or replaced I was advised the modem was faulty. Since the original modem was apparently a welcome gift I had to replace it myself and duly did with a TP-Link Archer VR2800.

This has not fixed the problem.

It does however provide more interesting diagnostics. I can see that during a loss of service (I run a constant ping test) the line status remains up with the same up/downstream speeds as is normal. During this time the router is trying to renegotiate PPoE which usually takes exactly 5 minutes despite me dropping the echo request interval down somewhat. When trying to work from home it's faster to forcibly drop the connection and let it login again.

Unfortunately there is no joined-up thinking when calling support. Everytime I phone I'm pasted the same boilerplate about plugging into the master socket etc with no reference to the ongoing history with all of this.

29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

Hi

Glad to hear this has been resolved for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30

I have finally been able to speak with someone on support who understands stuff.

It looks likely my problem is related to how my static IP is setup on the TalkTalk end. Temporarily removing it has stopped all the random disconnects. Quite how this will be fully resolved is ongoing.

So nothing to do with the line, or the cabling, or the router.

Message 3 of 30

Hi JBF12,

I'm sorry to hear that, sometimes engineers will just turn up on the off chance that someone is home, I'm sure they'll be able to rearrange

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

An engineer tried to visit us today (Tuesday), despite my having stated several times that this is only possible on a Saturday. As such I have had to once again refuse him access.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

Hi JBF12

I'm sorry to hear this.

Hopefully this engineer will get to the bottom of this fault.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 6 of 30

Thanks Debbie, for the update.

TT Business have so far been unable to resolve this problem over multiple cases and quite some months other than send OpenReach engineers who find nothing of note.

I have yet another visit pending as of now. We will have to see.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 30

Hi JBF12

Apologies, you would need to contact TalkTalk Business directly as this Community only provides support for residential customers.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 30

This is a business account

0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

Hi JBF12

Apologies I'm unable to locate any details. Are you a TalkTalk Business or Residential customer?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

That has been done.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 30

Hi JBF12

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Hi,
I've logged 3 reconnections since Friday evening with no obvious pattern to the timings. If you think a replacement router would aid in diagnostics then that would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 30

Hi,

I understand and thanks for the additional information. I've re-checked the connection stats and I can only see 1 recent re-connection on the line. How often is your connection dropping at the moment? I've re-read back through your thread in relation to the router, would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes?

Thanks

Message 14 of 30
Yes, this was to have been the third engineer visit and the second of which where the engineer turned up unannounced. The previous time we were able to accommodate this, however there are two of us working from home and we need sufficient notice for these visits. The previous case notes should make this clear.
Note that both previous visits (the last one only in August) have not found anything conclusive.
I did chat with the engineer on this occasion and all line tests he was able to perform at the exchange end came back good.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

Hi JBF12

It appears that this fault is with Openreach but the engineer was refused access when they attended to complete their investigations?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 30
Yes please, I'm very keen to try and get this resolved.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 30

Hi JBF12,

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like us to look into this further for you?

Thanks

Message 18 of 30

It is not a prerequisite to use a TalkTalk router. But you cannot expect TalkTalk to diagnose any possible router related issues with other than their own. Your connection should not be running over PPPoE. And there should be no need to vary MTU from the standard VDSL setting of 1500. 

Message 19 of 30
Thanks, I'll gladly give that a shot and will give it a few days to see how that plays out.

Message 20 of 30
Have you tried a lower MTU such as 1470? I have seen issues before with MTU settings.
The world is thinner in some places.
0 Likes