FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement router

andyjw
Team Player
Message 9 of 9

My router, which has worked fine for nearly 18 months, has developed a couple of annoying problems.  First, it randomly reboots itself. This happens on average once or twice a day when I'm working. Second, and perhaps more annoying, the router will randomly prevent devices connected to the 2.4 GHz network from accessing the internet. Devices connected to the 5 GHz network continue to work fine. To be clear, when this happens, all 2.4 GHz devices are prevented from accessing the internet - which is most of the devices in our household. This can be 'fixed' by restarting the router.

I think it is time for a replacement. How do I get one? (If it has any bearing, my contract is up in 5 days and I would like to know this will be resolved before renewing.) 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

andyjw
Team Player
Message 2 of 9

Thanks Debbie. I'll let you know what I find with the replacement router. (I assume it'll resolve the reboots and weird 2.4 GHz issue.)

Thanks also to Skynet_TX for your help over the weekend.

Message 3 of 9

Hi andyjw

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear so I have sent a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 9

What makes you think the router is actually rebooting, rather than just losing connection to the internet and reconnecting ?

What do you see in the log at the time this happens ?

The staff here may agree a new router is required seeing as you have these two seemingly unrelated issues, but would be good to just understand if it really is rebooting, or just reconnecting.

andyjw
Team Player
Message 5 of 9

Hi. I just suffered another reboot. After restarting there is no sign of "Kernel Panic" errors in the debug logs.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

Are you able to check the router logs, there is a known issue that can cause the DG8041W to fully reboot, but if you are suffering from that issue you will see mentions of 'Kernel Panic' errors in the router log at the time of the reboot. If this was the issue that was affecting you then there is a new version of firmware (v1.06t) that specifically resolves the kernel panic problem.

The Wi-Fi issue does sound like a separate problem, so it may well be that the staff here might think a replacement router was the best thing to try.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Hi,

Device info from the router's admin interface:

Device Type:DG8041W
Description:EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway
Hardware Version:I.1.01
Software Version:v1.05t

When I say rebooting, I mean rebooting. 

There is no issue with the service. When the router is not rebooting, the connection between router and internet is fine. 

There is no contention on the 2.4 GHz network. The only 2.4 GHz networks accessible in our property are the TalkTalk router's network, operating on channel 3, and my SonosNet network, operating on channel 11. Besides, it's pretty obvious that if every device connected to the 2.4 GHz network suddenly cannot get an internet connection (despite having a strong connection to the router), it is due to a fault with the router. The fact that rebooting the router allows the devices to connect again reinforces this. 

Thanks for letting me know about staff availability. I'll wait for a response from them tomorrow.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @andyjw,

What model of router do you have ?

When you say 'rebooting', do you actually know that it is fully restarting, or do you just mean it loses connection with the internet and has to reconnect, what do the light(s) do on the router when this happens.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Have you tried changing the channels that your router broadcasts the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested, this would help prove that the issue is not just due to Wi-Fi interference on the 2.4GHz band.

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes