FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore, WiFi and Icon problems after update of replacement Sagemcom router to latest version

steve1234
Participant
Message 16 of 16

Unfortunately, 3 days ago, my router went down with a hardware fault and TalkTalk to their credit very promptly sent out a replacement. I set it up but found it would not allow the last saved device.cfg file to be loaded in to restore all of the previous settings. I had to manually enter all of the settings but when I came to the Reserve IP section, it simply was not there. I checked this replacement router's firmware and it was SG4K10001400t, which dates from 2019 prior to Reserve IP being included in the firmware. After asking in another's post I was asked to leave the router on and it should auto update overnight - thanks everyone for letting me know as it has successfully updated to 2816t.

There are some issues, which I hope someone can help me to resolve. I will list them:

1. After logging in to the router's Dashboard, I went to the maintenance section to do a restore of my last router's settings from the last saved device.cfg file. This did not restore any of the settings. I had to manually re-enter all of the settings.

Q: has anyone done a restore of settings using the device.cfg file? Is it firmware version dependant? I thought that all settings could be saved and restored in case a replacement router was installed.

2. Whilst manually entering the settings (in the Reserve IP and Port Forwarding section, Device Info), I clicked on the ICON popup menu and changed the icon from Miscellaneous to Camera (which is low down in the list/array) the icon shows OK, but when you click Apply you get a red warning saying
'Operation could not be completed, something went wrong'.

The Camera icon is not saved and it defaults back to the Miscellaneous icon. However, if you select the Computer icon (which is high up in the list/array) that icon is saved OK. It looks like the list/array of icons is wrong, which suggests the array is out of bounds.

Q: has anyone successfully saved such as the Camera icon (low down in the list) or is it a software bug?

3. Info just in case this assists others: my network has to be changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1, which is straight forward and easy to do (under the DHCP tab). However, after doing this on this latest firmware version I could not get internet access via phones and tablet, etc, using WiFi (WiFi is connected OK on each device and all these WiFi devices can access all other network devices, NAS, etc - it just has no internet access). I clicked on the DNS tab and it was still showing the original default 192.168.1.1 address as the Primary DNS server even though the router's IP address had been changed to 192.168.0.1.

After changing this DNS address also to 192.168.0.1 all was fine. I only mention this in case anyone else, like me, did not realise that this section also needed to be altered, because previous firmware versions didn't need this be altered as it followed the router's IP.

Thanks for looking

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 2 of 16

Absolutely tip-top - I did as you said Chris and just tested the speed which is now an excellent 70.1 / 13.9 Mbps.  I am very pleased and happy.

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi steve1234,

Thanks for answering the security questions. Your current sync speed is 75.2Mbps so could you switch your router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 4 of 16

Hi steve1234,

I've now sent you the PM, apologies for the delay

Chris

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 5 of 16

Hello Debbie

I have found the setting and turned it on!

I will look out for your PM

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 6 of 16

Hello Debbie

Sorry, I don't know if it is on or off  - where is the setting?

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi Steve

I'm having some issues sending the Private Message.

Have PMs been switched off?

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 8 of 16

Hello Debbie

I have just checked my emails and not seen a PM from you.  Was it sent OK?

Thanks

Steve

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi Steve

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check the sync speed and predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 10 of 16

Hello Debbie

The new replacement router has been on continuously since 20-8-21.  These are the speeds using the TalkTalk speed tester:

23-6-21 70.0 / 14.1 (previous router - highly delighted!)

20-8-21  54.5 / 11.2 (new replacement router, below average)

21-8-21 52.9 / 13.1

30-8-21 53.3 / 13.9

31-8-21 54.5 / 14.1 (today - PC LAN Ethernet direct to router as normal, nothing else accessing data, just the single PC)

In 2018, the speed went low and BT Openreach visited, couldn't find a problem with the short wiring and external feed, but fitted a new master NTE5C Mk4 socket whilst here.  The engineer did full line tests, pair quality and noise levels which were all very good but the INTERLEAVE was on.  He telephoned through to the exchange and they removed the interleave setting and the speed went back to normal and has been very good until my router had a hardware failure on 18-8-20 and the replacement fitted 20-8-21 (TalkTalk were very prompt at sending out a replacements - thanks).

I wonder if that is the same issue.

Thanks for looking

Steve

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi steve1234

Thanks for your reply.

DLM should change the profile and increase the speed again if the connection remains stable.

How long has the new router been connected for?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 12 of 16

The replacement router is working OK with the latest firmware and I am just waiting for the icon and restore config settings bugs to be released in a future firmware upgrade.

I have Fibre65 and before my replacement router arrived, up to 18 August 21 the download speed and upload speed was a healthy 70.0/14.1 Mbps as displayed when I use the TalkTalk speed checker at http://internet-speedtest.net.  I use LAN Ethernet Cat 6 direct from PC to my router.  The speed has always been OK and I have been very pleased.   However, after my replacement router was fitted, using the same default settings and same Ethernet LAN to the same PC, the speed is now only showing 53.3/13.9 Mbps max, which is below average and quite a drop 'overnight'.

Could it have been throttled back at the exchange due to the previous broken router stop/starting or when the new one was being installed?

Is there any way the speed can be restored back to around 65mps?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 16

That is exactly what I always do, it will always fail to work if your clients are handed out a DNS server on the wrong subnet, within the DHCP reply!

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

steve1234
Participant
Message 14 of 16

Thanks Keith about the outstanding issues waiting to be fixed.  I hope they get sorted.

About the DNS issue.  I probably did not explain it clearly enough:

Once you change the IP address of the router, I know you have to reboot all connected devices for them to connect to the router.  That was not the issue.  That part is fine.  It is the DNS part, without which you connect lookup up a web site.

The information that I was trying to point out is that there is another setting under the DNS tab which also needs to be altered whenever the router's IP address is altered.  This is because that setting remains at the original router's default IP address even when the routers IP has been changed - it also has to be changed to match the new IP address of the router under the DNS section.

In other words, when you want to change the IP address of the router you need to do it in 2 places (not just the normal 1)  - ie change under the DCHP tab and now also under the DNS tab (with reboots as normal of course)

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

In version 2816 the backup & restore of the configuration does not work. It has been fixed in new firmware currently under test. However, I have no idea when or if this version will be put on general release & your router updated to it.

The camera icon bug is still not fixed.

When changing the IP address of the router, unless connected devices are rebooted, the correct default gateway & its MAC address will not be updated.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?