FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dropping out

ncrbrts
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

I have a Huawei HG router. Several times a day I have to turn it off to re-establish a wifi connection with my devices. All of the lights are always at green so it is clear the interruption is between the router and the devices, not the actual internet. Since I am working at home like everyone else, this is not helpful when in the middle of a video meeting which I am in for hours every day. 

This is a very recent problem, probably over the last couple of weeks. Trying to fix this, I ran a speed and connection test, and also found out that my download speed on faster fibre is only 9.0 mbps, when it should be about 3x this. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 6

Hi ncrbrts,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however the connection looks unstable. Just to confirm, does your master socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter and router at the test socket to see how the stability compares?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

I managed to get through to someone on live chat on Saturday who apparently "helped" - it is worse now than before! Considering going back to BT but 8 months left on this contract... 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Thanks so much for your response.

I tried all of your suggestions. I have one connection permanently wired but it is also running slower than I would expect. My neighbours are not running on the same channel as I am, and I split the SSIDs - no joy. It always seems to be worse at particular times of the day - 10/11AM and around 5/6PM, but today at 3 was kind of dodgy too. Also during the night all of the devices get disconnected and have to get signed back in again in the morning. 

I've updated my info so hopefully help is on the way.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

If a wired speed test gives much better speeds then you might be suffering from Wi-Fi interference, for example your neighbours might have a router broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel to yours.

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @ncrbrts,

Is that speed test result from a wired or wireless device ?, if it was wireless then is it possible for you to run a wired speed test, as if that is much faster then this would indicate the issue is likely to just be with the Wi-Fi signal, and not a problem with the speed your router is connected to the internet.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within two or three working days.

0 Likes