FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router limiting download speed...

ohms111
Team Player
Message 65 of 65

Hi there

Hope someone can help me decide if I need to request a new router.

So moved to TT and after a short delay in the line going live and what will be 2 engineer visits (dont ask my why TT want to send the engineer a 2nd time around but they said there was a fault on the line) I have noted that the router provided by TT links to the line as a speed of around 54000kbps however the router seems to be capped at around 45000.

I know this because if I use my near 10 year old router I get similar line speed but there is no capping of the download speed and i can achieve around 49000kps.

I wonder if this is a faulty router and indeed something inherent to the cheaper router which is designed for the slower fibre connections. 

Either way I have a router from TT that isnt fit for purpose. Just not sure if i should be asking for a different version of the router.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
64 REPLIES 64

martswain
Philosopher
Message 1 of 65

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

The routers need to be connected LAN to LAN, either by cable or powerline adapters.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 65

If anyone can elaborate that would be great and save me a few pounds, or do i need to start a new thread?

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 3 of 65

@ohms111 

TT routers and HUBS can easily be set up to be used as access points even though there is not a software button to do so.

Only a couple of settings need to be changed.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 65

Thanks. Yes reading the connection speeds correctly. Using the TT router my actual speed was greater than my sync speed. Confirmed by a speedcheck run using wired connection.

I have given up and am just using my own router which is giving good sync and actual speeds. 

I think as someone earlier said own routers tend to be better. 

Will be needing to buy a new one to act as an access point as still need WiFi upstairs as even my own router on max power won't get WiFi there.

At least the line sync is back to where it was before we changed providers.

Thanks TT customers team.

Shame openreach isnt as responsive

0 Likes

Message 5 of 65

@ohms111 wrote:

Thanks router received.

Sync speed to router is definitely improved.

Oddly the actual speed exceeds the sync speed so I suspect the router needs time to settle down and adjust. Sync speed still lower compared with my own router but I need that to extend WiFi in the home so will give the TT router a couple if days to stabilise.

Can a firmware update be pushed to the router please as it didn't occur overnight last night.

Thanks for your help 

Actual download and upload speeds should be slightly below their respective sync speed.

Are you sure you are reading the actual sync speed correctly from the router DSL stats?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 65

Hi ohms111

That was the previous version, the new one is 130t.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ohms111
Team Player
Message 7 of 65

Oh OK 

I thought it was a 281... or something similar. Will see if router stlles down over the next day or so.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 65

Hi ohms111

Thanks for your reply.

This is the latest fw version for the Sagemcom router.

Thanks

Debbie

ohms111
Team Player
Message 9 of 65

It's on 

SG4K100130

Message 10 of 65

Hi ohms111

It appears that the firmware has updated, which version can you see?

0 Likes

ohms111
Team Player
Message 11 of 65

Thanks router received.

Sync speed to router is definitely improved.

Oddly the actual speed exceeds the sync speed so I suspect the router needs time to settle down and adjust. Sync speed still lower compared with my own router but I need that to extend WiFi in the home so will give the TT router a couple if days to stabilise.

Can a firmware update be pushed to the router please as it didn't occur overnight last night.

Thanks for your help 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 65

Hi ohms111

Ok no problem. The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ohms111
Team Player
Message 13 of 65

To be honest whichever one is likely to sync better with the line.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 65

Hi ohms111

Would you like me to send a Huawei WIFI hub or a Sagemcom WIFI hub?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 65

Thanks

Line has remained stable with no errors that i can see from my router. 

As a result the sync speed has gone up as well. Not back to where we were but slowly getting there.

The issue to seems quite likely to have been the TT router. 

Can I request replacement as long line continues to improve? Dont care what it is as long as it works. 

I normally use my own as a separate access point elsewhere in the property which I havent been able to do as its being used as the main router. 

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 65

Your sync speed is a little higher with your newly connected own router so hopefully if the connection remains stable over the weekend DLM will move you to a faster profile

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 65

I agree. 

Having checked everything myself. The culprit can only be the router. 

I have unplugged the TT Router and waited 40 mins and plugged my own router in. 

I am no longer getting the same issues with video calls etc. 

So clearly I have been unlucky that I have received likey 2 faulty routers. 

That said the change in SNR means that even my router isnt able to sync at higher speeds. 

Its all really disappointing as we have lost 12Mbs through this process. I can only hope my own router will allow DLM to drop the SNR but i am not confident as the last engineers said they were manually raising the SNR because they could not find any faults. 

I suspect if things do not improve i will leave TT and go elsewhere. 

Starlink is looking appealing.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 18 of 65

Is your speed below the minimum guaranteed speed? What puzzles me, notwithstanding the DLM issue, is that even with a sync speed of  "only" 44Mbps you should not be experiencing the problems you mention, as Chris has already observed. 

Message 19 of 65

Hi 

Well that is indeed weird.

The last engineer manually raised the SNR. They did say it would reduce within 72 hours. We have had 72 hours and it hasnt. 

So clearly the engineer told me a frank lie. 

My 30 day with you is quickly approaching and i do not wish to be caught up in this saga beyond the 30 days. 

Please can you confirm that i can cancel my contract with no termination changes within the 30 days of going live. 

I also note that i have been charged a full month and a week despite not going live on the day i should have. There should be a refund as per the agreed rates for the days where there was a delay. can this be actioned. 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 65

I just checked the last line test that failed, it was run at 28/09/2021 07:02:29, sync speed is 48.3Mbps and the line profile that was setting a target SNR of 3db.

I'm sorry, we can't reset the SNR as such, an engineer visit is required to reset DLM but this was probably done by the previous engineer.

As DLM is monitoring and changing your profile I'd suggest leaving it over the weekend to see if it makes any further changes. If you continue to experience performance issues such as those experienced with the video call then we can potentially arrange a visit from one of our engineer to check this out as your current sync speed shouldn't cause the problems that you've experienced

Chris