FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/modems repeatedly losing VDSL connection

Anony
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 7

I have a Draytek router/modem that started losing internet connectivity randomly about a week ago (Windows reports connected/no internet). I tried rebooting the router and the windows connected client to no avail. I also used windows network reset tool but that also made no difference. I left the router off for >30 minutes to avoid DLM issues and at some point I regained internet connectivity. During the process I noticed that the DSL led wouldn't go steady and the connection status in the router was disconnected and the line status was labeled as "Training". The first time this happened and I obtained a reconnection in the evening it would still be OK in the morning but I'd lose it again by the afternoon. This issue has steadily become worse it terms of the frequency and duration of lost connectivity. In order to eliminate the router/modem I reconnected my old TT supplied D-Link DSL3782 router/modem and used a different DSL cable just in case. However this wouldn't synch with the network either, the Broadland lamp would flash and or go out randomly and the internet lamp didn't come on. I left it connected overnight and it had synched when I checked about 5:15 am and I could use the internet. I left for work about 6:45 and by the time I returned at about 4pm it was disconnected again and the broadband led was flashing intermittently. I checked the log and the last entries were 08:58:45am, nothing in there suggested a fault just entries about DNS nameservers.

I think there's a fault on the line or at the exchange, can i have a line check or other diagnostics  performed please as I dont think its a modem issue as both the draytek and d-link had the same problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hello,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Unfortunately it doesn't have a test socket, it's an openreach 5c or some such. I removed the front plate and connected directly to the socket but it made no difference. Because i'm not at home much at the moment I can't say definitively what the connectivity has been like, however I know it was disconnected for the period of 13:30 - 16:15 today (20/05). I don't use the landline but have acquired a telephone to plug in to see if the voice line is working or not if that helps. I should be able to report back Saturday.

Update: I had to log into my normal TT account and noticed the service status button as mentioned by another poster, I used it and it reported a fault on my line and steps are now underway to send an engineer out. Should have done that first, but the community support help has always come good in the past so that was my default approach this time round. Thanks for your help we can now consider this issue closed. Cheers.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Morning,

Thanks for confirming that you've tested with 2 different routers. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi, I don't think a replacement router will help as I've experienced the same issue with two different modem/routers and I doubt they've developed the same fault simultaneously.

In regards to the line testing the connection was OK this morning up to about 11am, when it was off again until at least around 5pm. Unfortunately I'm not at home a lot at the moment so can't keep a close eye on it. If the line was tested when the connection was stable would this show any potential fault? On the DSL-3782 I've noticed that the "Internet" light goes off or toggles randomly even when the "Broadband" light is steady. Yet again it seems that connectivity is OK in the early morning but goes off for most of the rest of the day.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Morning,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does your main socket have a test socket? Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Anony,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The TalkTalk Support Team on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes