FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router security wont allow printer to connect to laptop

Nikki_S333
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

Hi. I am trying (desperately as tried every option!) to connect my new wifi printer to my laptop via my fibre routerThe printer connects to wifi independently but will NOT connect via laptop which is obviously what I need it to do. I have tried every method the setup wizard suggests. WPS button, manual entry of SSID, etc. It just says every time 'cannot find printer' after I try. It did come up with a message saying 'check the privacy seperator function on the wireless router'. Then says if enabled that can cut off communication between devices through the router. Does anyone know how to check this/ disable? Or what else I can try! Thanks so much.

20220108_144538.jpg

Nshenton
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 2 of 8

One thought, you can sometimes get behaviour like this when both your 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands are using the same network name (SSID), this is the standard setup for TalkTalk routers. So it might just be worth splitting your SSIDs to give one of the networks a different name, just to see if that helps with this issue. If it doesn't help then you could just change it back again so that both your network bands use the same SSID again.

Details on how to split SSIDs can be found here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Split-your-router-s-SSID-wireless-network-name/ta-p/230...

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 8

The router will not be preventing you from connecting. Wireless settings with printers can be a pain, but I would look to that first to work through step by step. 

0 Likes

Nikki_S333
First Timer
Message 4 of 8

Thankyou- added!

Nshenton

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 8

You will have a landline number, every Fibre 35 connection comes over a landline that has a phone number, if you log into My Account it will show your number at the top of the screen, you will need to add this to your community profile to allow the staff to identify you.

Nikki_S333
First Timer
Message 6 of 8

Thanks so much. I don't have a landline just internet only deal. The printer is an Epsom  WF- 3820. The router no idea it is new in November, Fibre 35 is my plan. Version no. DG8041W-2T5. 

Nshenton
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Nikki_S333,

What model of router do you have ?

What make / model of printer is it ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help. They may not be able to help with issues specific to a 3rd party printer, but may be able to offer guidance on router settings etc.

0 Likes