FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router, slow download speed, fibre 65

Old_girl
First Timer
Message 17 of 17

Hello

Upgraded to fibre 65. Go live date 4 October 2021.

Internet usage OK, no speed tests done, but on 16 October 2021 the new black hub (received in the fibre 65 box package) started flashing orange white very quickly non stop all night and next morning. Eventually I unplugged router, waited more than 30 minutes then plugged in at mains. Router has worked ok since then, by that I mean no more flashing light.

Over the last few days and at different times I have done many talktalk my account speed tests.

Speed to router: Status GOOD. 62 Mbps mostly, 64 x 3 times.

Screen says guaranteed speed to our router is 62 mbps.

Speed to your device: Status POOR.

Download speed to your device: 46 mbps highest, 18 mbps lowest.

At least 17 talktalk my account speed tests done today 26.10.21,  33 tests on 24.10.21, 23 tests on 25.10.21, download speeds all days  range in the 20s, 30s, and 40s. I have reset the router by a paper clip in the hole.

My sign up package states:

Download speeds max 74, typical 69-73, minimum guaranteed 65 - which I am not getting anywhere near.

Upload  speeds to your device: 17 mbps highest mostly, 10 lowest- not many.

My sign up package papers state upload speed max 18, typical 17-18, minimum 17.

Is my router faulty re poor download speeds, and in view of the non stop lights flashing earlier? 

Thank you for looking.

From the old girl.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hello,

Please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 2 of 17

No need for an engineer, @Old_girl.

Just follow the instructions. Plug and play effectively. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hello Karl

Fibre 65. Go live date 4 Oct 2021.

Black hub set received and used, slow speeds.

So I was recently sent a new hub box set.

On side of box product version Sagemcom FAST 5364-3. T 8/AV 3/C1.

Delivery note TTSCOMFAST 5364.

The set-up guide first page states:

If you are new to Talktalk or have upgraded (me, been with TT for many years), our engineer will be bringing an Openreach modem to get you connected.

My question is, do I need an engineer to connect Sagemcom router for fibre 65?  I do not have an Openreach modem.  I have not used the Sagemcom router yet.

Regards

old girl

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi

the router is now on the way to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Old_girl
First Timer
Message 5 of 17

Hello Debbie

Yes, as you suggested, please send me a replacement router for testing, free.

Regards

Old girl

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Old_girl

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Old_girl
First Timer
Message 7 of 17

Hello Debbie
There has been some improvement but not enough in the PC desktop since Karl changed me to channel 9, but not for the apple ipad air notepad wireless.

DESKTOP PC, ethernet cable
Speed to router status GOOD,  62.
Speed to your device status POOR, 17 mbps for all tests.
28.10.21. Thursday, 10.05 am to 1.30 pm. 34 speed tests, minimum 2 minutes apart, used timer.
35, 36, 46, 46, 46, 48, 56, 59, 59, 58, 58, 57, 47, 57, 57, 56, 53, 57, 57, 58
50,49, 59, 49, 59, 53, 48, 49, 48, 47, 47, 42, 48, 49.

SWITCHED OFF PC DESKTOP, removed ethernet cable from router.

SWITCHED ON apple ipad air notebook, no cables.
28.10.21. Thursday, 1.40 pm to 3 pm,
14 speed tests- , range 15, 16, 2 x 17 mbps.  minimum 2 minutes apart, used timer.
35, 30, 34, 38, 34, 39, 35, 37, 29, 34, 34, 40, 38, 35.

Regards, old girl

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi Old_girl

Are you leaving a couple of minutes in between running speed tests?

Has there been any improvement?

0 Likes

Old_girl
First Timer
Message 9 of 17

Hi Karl

Since you changed my channel to channel 9 today , I have done 93 speed tests today via talk talk my account, using my PC desktop.

Speed to your router: Status GOOD, every time, 62 mbps.

Speed to your device: Status POOR, every time, upload 17 mbps every time.

My package document says download speeds: Max 74, typical 69-73, minimum 65 guaranteed.

I list below the results of my speeds test to my device, which are not near 65.

32, 33, 38, 33, 40, 54, 53, 57, 33, 38, 33, 35, 39, 47, 45, 39, 35, 59, 48, 48, 60, 57,

52, 46, 34, 39, 36, 45, 45, 34, 36, 36, 31, 31, 31, 29, 31, 52, 52, 50, 49, 47, 33, 33, 32, 26,

26, 27, 31, 34, 37, 35, 56, 53, 55, 55, 56, 53, 50, 53, 55, 51, 58, 60, 58, 58, 56, 48, 57, 55,

53, 46, 39, 39, 38, 34, 44, 58, 48, 48, 49, 44, 54, 55, 48, 46, 50, 57, 57, 56, 37, 38, 46.

I have moved the router into different positions, in the same room, as far as cables will allow.

The best position is router  upside down, stand open, with air around, this gives several results at 50+. I am in a detached house.

Regards, old girl.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi

I've changed the wifi channel to 9 remotely.

Turning the router off for 30 minutes is only to reset the session if external sync speeds appear low, so is not relevant at the moment.

The graph shown in my last post is from our own diagnostic systems based on info pulled from your router.

I'm not sure if there are any wifi analysers available for apple products, there are wifi apps available on android phones that can show similar info.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Old_girl
First Timer
Message 11 of 17

Hi Karl

1. Please give me step by step instructions on how to change the channel to 9.

2. Does turning off the router then waiting 30 minutes, then on automatically select the best channel, got that in my mind from somewhere?

3. How can I get a graph like you supplied, free from the internet, is it possible?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi

There are a lot of wifi channels around you, so a lot of wifi congestion.

The graph below shows all the wifi channels around you. The best channel currently is probably 9.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Karl

Slow download speeds all the time.

The router has:

cable to mains socket.

broadband cable.

Black ethernet cable yellow ends supplied with fibre 65 which goes into the talk talk you view box which i

I use for 7 day catch up tv occasionally. I have also tried the grey you view flat ethernet cable supplied with the you view box.

I have an apple air laptop which is not wired to router or anything, works fine via wifi. I have turned off wifi on the apple laptop and switched it off, makes no difference to speed tests on main computer.

Regards

old girl

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi

speeds to the router look ok, and line tests are clear.

Are you seeing the slow speeds when connecting via WiFi or do you have any devices wired to the router, a pc or laptop etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Hello Debbie

Under profile & settings, my preferences, I have ticked: email and telephone, and saved.

I must say I am not technically minded, but can follow clear step by step instructions.

Regards

old girl.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 17

Hi Old_girl

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes