FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router

F10rrell
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 15

Hi

Can anyone suggest why, when nothing at all has changed, I should keep losing WiFi connection? I have to restart the router 6 or more times EVERY DAY!

Quickly losing patience with it!

Thanks, Lesley

Lesley
0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Message 2 of 15

Thanks Debbie-Talktalk 🙂

Lesley

Lesley

Message 3 of 15

Hi Lesley

Thank you 🙂

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Debbie

Message 4 of 15

Hi Debbie

I think I've saved that now

Thanks, Lesley

Lesley

Message 5 of 15

Hi F10rrell

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

F10rrell
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 15

HI

Thank you for my lovely new router!  Please can I ask that TalkTalk now disable  Wi-Fi Optimisation on my new router?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Lesley Orrell

Lesley

Message 7 of 15

Always here to help.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 15

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 9 of 15

Hi Keith,

The router is about 7 years old, so I've a new router on the way to @F10rrell to see if this helps.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 15

I have been struggling to do diagnostics on the WiFi of this HG635 (with all the limitations of the PM system currently). The customer's SSID is not visible in analyser screenshots, so I think this router is faulty.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 15

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

F10rrell
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 15

Thank you, your help will be much appreciated!

F10rrell_0-1630326363030.png

Does the above help?

Lesley

Lesley

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Yes, I can. This is down to Wi-Fi interference where other routers in your area use a wireless channel that interferes with yours. When a router is turned on, if the channel allocation in the router is set to Auto, it scans to try & find the best channel to use. Over time other routers come online or change their WiFi channel to one that interferes with yours. What most domestic routers do not do, however, is to rescan the channels subsequently. This is why it only improves again when you turn the router off & back on again.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith