FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagecom router DNS issue

alecu
Team Player
Message 8 of 8

Over the last couple of weeks this issue where out of nowhere the router stops being able to act as a DNS proxy has become more and more of a nuisance. It's not occurring nearly every day.

Device info below.

Serial Number    N7182914N004568
Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00
Software Version SG4K10002816t
GUI Version      3.7.8
System Up Time   3d 10h30m14s
MAC Address      D8:A7:56:4C:10:77

After a bit of poking around it turns out that the dnsmasq process on the router gets stuck periodically. Every time the DNS stops working, if I log onto the router I see this in 'ps -e f':

9072 ? S 0:32 \_ dnsmasq -k -b -c0 -r/tmp/relayresolv.conf --m
25835 ? Z 0:00 | \_ [dnsmasq] <defunct>
25851 ? Z 0:00 | \_ [dnsmasq] <defunct>

and lo and behold a 'kill -9 9072' gets me a freshly respawned dnsmaq daemon that restores DNS functionality (until next time). This is faster than having to reboot the whole router but obviously not what I'd call a solution.

I seem to recall the FW revision being different in the past, has there been an upgrade recently that broke this?

Please advise.

Alec.

PS Just thought I'd mention that when posting this I pasted the 'device info' part of the router's page in the text above and that resulted in 'invalid html' in the message? Never a good sign when the page for posting issues has itself issues.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Alec

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi, just thought I'd update this as it's been a while, the DNS problem does appear to have been fixed.

Re ssh, I'm well aware it's not a supported management interface, it was a last resort solution to go in and fix the WIFI channel issue I was having at the time which you guys were unable/unwilling to help with - see https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Sacgecom-router-WiFi-channel-hopping-broken/m-p/2413016#M2.... This appears to have been fixed at long last with this new firmware so  fingers crossed I'll not be needing to work around it myself all over again.

Thanks,

Alec.

Message 3 of 8

Hi

Customers are not supposed to be able to ssh into the router, so this is expected behaviour, but the DNS issues have been addressed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

alecu
Team Player
Message 4 of 8

Well the FW version has changed, it now reads SG4K100130. I also can no longer ssh into it which is not an improvement.

I'll send an update after it's been running for a while.

Message 5 of 8

Hi

Can you retest this today please.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

alecu
Team Player
Message 6 of 8

Is there an ETA for a fix for this. It's getting to the point where I'm looking at switching providers.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hi

I'll relay this to our Devices Manager for you.  I think they are aware of this and the DNS issue should be resolved in the next firmware, but it never hurts to reiterate the point to make sure nothing is missed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes