FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem Fast 5364 & TP Link Powerlines - incompatibility issues? frequent drop outs.

Neiljd
Team Player
Message 42 of 42

Hi,

I'm having real problems with my Faster fibre dropping out many times a day, particularly when streaming.

It's rare to get through a YouTube video or iPlayer programme now without it suddenly buffering for a minute or so every half hour or so.

It happened a bit before with my old TalkTalk router but since upgrading to faster fibre and the new Sagem Fast 5364 router it has been a lot worse.

I thought it was an issue with my TP link 8630P Powerlines but now I'm not so sure.

It's got to the point where I have now turned off all the Wi-Fi from my router and am just relying on the Wi-Fi from my Powerline 8630P to give any kind of reasonably stable connection to my devices.

Even my 4k fire tv stick connected via ethernet from the Powerlines would drop connection and result in constant situations where it is buffering yet shows a reasonable connection speed yet no buffer nor network activity. This was the same whether connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet and other devices dropped out at the same time so it's not the fire tv stick.

I've tried numerous combination of things including: -

1) Finding uncongested channels via the Acrylic Wi-Fi app and changing to them

2) Turning off one or both channels of the router or the powerlines and adjusting power outputs.

3) Changing the powerlines to low power mode to reduce interference.

4) Splitting the Wi-Fi into 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.

5) Changing the Powerlines to a static IP as it seemed to be acting as a DHCP server and was conflicting with the router.

6) Reserving IP addresses on the router.

Plus loads of other things, over several months which I can't even remember now!

Everything I could think of or Google basically but all still result in an unstable connection where either my Wi-Fi security cameras or my smart plugs and devices or iPad or iPhone drop connection more than a few times per day.

My router is on software version: SG4K10002816t
With hardware version: FAST5364 3.00

If that helps.

I'm wondering if there's maybe some kind of incompatibility between these Powerlines and this Sagem router?

I contacted TP link but their tech support offered no support or advise as the devices are just out of warranty, so I'm hoping please that I have more luck with you.

Many thanks.

Neil.

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Neiljd
Team Player
Message 1 of 42

Hi!

Sorry been away, busy with work and just got married...

Bought some cat 8 ethernet cables but they didn't really help. Connection still drops at least once a day and some days 2 or 3 times.

I'm not sure what more I can try.

I downloaded a beta firmware for my TP link powerlines as there was a load of talk about the DHCP server built into them being a culprit but that didn't help.

Weirdly when my connection on the fire tc stick dies, doing a speed test from my mobile kicks it back into life. 

It's almost as if the Powerlines have gone to sleep and the pings from the Speedtest wakes it up. 

I have looked into this but am not prepared to leave my PC on all day with a script running to ping the powerline so this is not a viable solution for me. I have the power save mode set to OFF on the powerlines too, so it shouldn't keep going to sleep but I've come to the conclusion that it is either dodgy YouTube software on the fire tv stick (main problem app - Tweeted YouTube - no reply) or rubbish powerlines (took them 3 years and tons of complaints to release this beta firmware which doesn't work so wont hold my breath). 

So not sure there is anything more I can do unless someone else has some bright ideas.

Thanks all, Neil.

0 Likes

Neiljd
Team Player
Message 2 of 42

Yeah ignore that thread, i'm sure it had a reference to ethernet connected fire tv sticks but I guess I imagined it. Obviously desperate to try anything!.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 42

I can't see how WiFi security will have any impact on the ethernet devices connected to the powerlines.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Neiljd
Team Player
Message 4 of 42

I've never seen anything in the user logs of either test routers nor the Powerlines at the time when the drop out occurs.

I'll try the cat8 cables when they arrive later today and if that makes no difference I will try switching my wifi security settings to WPA/WPA 2 instead of just WPA2 which is the default, which this reddit thread seems to indicate helped others. 

May be a little less secure but if it resolves a years worth of drop outs then I'm willing to try it.

Thanks

Neil.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 42

Did you look in the Huawei's User Log when this happened?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Neiljd
Team Player
Message 6 of 42

Hi Keith,

To be honest, I don't know.

I was using a Cat 5e cable but then swapped to the cable that came with the test router from TalkTalk which has no category listed, it just says "Data cable UTP 24AWG 4 pairs AWM..." - I assumed the one provided from TT would be up to the job!

I did however order a couple of Cat 8 cables yesterday and am awaiting delivery, I'll use these between the router and Powerlines and powerline and tv stick to see if they make any difference.

Thanks

Neil. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

Hi Neil,

The poweline has gigabit ethernet ports on it, as does the router. What type of Ethernet cable is it between the router LAN port & the local powerline to it, is it a minimum of Cat 6 (see the markings down the side of the cable). You might get away with Cat 5e, but maybe not. Have you ever tried swapping out this cable?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 42

Hi Keith,

Yeah the connection drops out to our 4k fire tv stick,(connected via ethernet through powerlines) whether it be YouTube or iplayer etc and when it does, wifi on our ipads/ iphones etc loose connection too.

I assume it to be the powerlines at fault but nothing in the logs and all lights remain green and stable on the powerline which has built in wifi extender.

Neil.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

There are now a lot of posts on this one & you have changed router config that I was not aware of. As you now have static IP addresses that are outside of the DHCP scope, that at least rules that out.

Just to recap to save me spending ages re-reading the posts, the problem is that the powerline drops out and you lose connectivity from everything wired or wireless connected to it, is this correct?

What happens to the lights on the powerline when this happens? I assume that the powerlines have a web GUI, is there a system log in there, however, I assume not from your last post?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 42

Hi Keith

I'm still using Static ip addresses for both fire tv stick and powerlines.

I set the primary address pool to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.240 and assigned a static ip of 192.168.1.250 to the powerlines and 192.168.1.244 for the fire tv stick.

I just wish something appeared in the logs of either the powerlines or the router when it drops out so I could get a hint on what is causing the issue!

Neil.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

Are you still using a static IP address of 192.168.1.14 configured on that device, as this will definitely cause you problems?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 42

Hi all.

Well i'm still testing between the 2 routers I have but need to make a decision and return one of them soon.

The Huawei hub seems a bit more stable but with a 10 Mbps lower speed but I can put up with that for the increased stability.

Both the Huawei one and the Sagemcom one still drop connection by wifi and via ethernet one or two times a day, but it's more stable than it was.

It's not fixed but i'm at a loss now as to whether it's the router, powerlines, fire tv stick or what.

I guess not the router as it does it on both and it did it on both my old and this new 4k fire tv stick so I guess it's not that either.

Luckily I still have the old box for my Sagemcom router so will prob. return that one.

The Huawei one seems to have more options in the advanced menus for further tinkering if needed, despite the poorer reviews.

Thanks all

Neil.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 42

I am not saying it will solve, it is just that what you are doing is very bad practice from a networking perspective.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 42

Thanks Keith,

I'll give this a go.

I did reserve the ip of the fire tv stick on the old Sagemcom router but this made no difference but i'll try this static ip approach with this Huawei router and see if things improve.

👍

Neil. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 42

The only safe addresses for static IP addresses with your hub configuration are:-

192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.9

Using .14 as a static is very close to the start of the scope, so it is very likely that another device on your network will get allocated .14 as well. So please make sure that all statics are within the range above, or change the DHCP scope to allow for more static IP addresses.

Keith

Message 16 of 42

...Sorry about the duplicate type, not sure what happened there

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

Hi Keith

I must admit I was a bit confused by this! So probably not!

Here are the details from the Huawei hub.

Hi Keith, thanks again!

I must admit I was a bit confused by this! So probably not!

Here are the details from the Huawei hub: -

DHCP pool.png

What would be a good static ip address then for my fire tv stick?

I just set it to 192.168.1.14 which was the dynamic ip that was assigned to it, so I thought if I just made it static with the same ip then it would always keep that ip??

I also tried reserving it on the router but i'm prob doing this all wrong, so if you could give me some pointers please, as Googling obviously didn't help me suss this! 😕

Thanks again!

Neil.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

All devices that use static IP addresses must be outside of the scope of a DHCP server's IP address range or scope, are yours? Otherwise, you have the chance of duplicate IP addresses on your network which can bring a network down in seconds.

Keith

Message 19 of 42

Hi,

Well after a week or so of testing with the Huawei wifi hub, the jury is still out..

The connection to my fire tv stick (connected via ethernet) dropped out 3 times during a 1 hour long programme on BBC iplayer on the first evening with the new router.

Although the logs on this router seem more detailed, nothing showed up in them for the time, when connection dropped, nor in the logs on my Powerlines.

I lost Wifi to my iphone at the same time as the ethernet connection dropped to my fire tv stick.

A week later and ethernet and wifi are still dropping although maybe not quite as much but I'm wondering if this is more to do with the fact that I have now given my fire tv stick a static ip address..

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the DHCP side of things as my other half was watching BBC iplayer downstairs and it had been fine all night but as soon as I returned downstairs with my iphone and ipad in hand the connection was lost.

I'm wondering if my devices suddenly being in range of the wifi from the Powerline/ extenders.. knocked the fire tv stick off.. hence why I tried a static ip for the tv stick.

..Although, that's connected by ethernet, so I just don't know!

😕

Any other ideas please?

Neil.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 42

Hi Neil,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some information and I'll then send the router

Chris

0 Likes