FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem Fast 5364 wifi optimisation

George WIlliams
First Timer
Message 9 of 9

Please turn OFF the so-called channel optimisation on my router.  It is persistently reverting to channel 11, which in my location is the worst possible choice. 

Notwithstanding the content within this forum, the helpdesk insist it is not possible for you to do this for a fibre connection. 

Will a future firmware update make it impossible for the router to revert once a specific channel (ie not AUTO) has been selected?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

@George WIlliams wrote:

There is no inherent reason why the product should be restricted in this way, and indeed as I pointed out in my original post, the Huawei version of the product does not impose this restriction.  Furthermore the Huawei router is able to support two unrelated subnets.  On its face, given appropriate configuration, this would appear to allow for the possibility of this router being used to route public IP addresses in tandem with supporting NAT/firewall-protected private addresses.  The Huawei router would thus appear to offer considerably more versatility for those seeking or requiring it.  

Well there is if it's a consumer router - security.  Private IP addresses are invalid on the public Internet, which is an important element in limiting exposure of the private network used in people's homes to the Internet.  What use case would you have for using public IP addresses on your internal network?  Admittedly the router should still be able to function securely if you're sensible with your configuration, but you are removing a security element for no discernible benefit.

I'd probably argue that allowing public IP address ranges to be used for the internal network is a shortcoming of the Huawei's UI.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 9

Take this up with TalkTalk, not me, I am only a customer.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

George WIlliams
First Timer
Message 3 of 9

There is no inherent reason why the product should be restricted in this way, and indeed as I pointed out in my original post, the Huawei version of the product does not impose this restriction.  Furthermore the Huawei router is able to support two unrelated subnets.  On its face, given appropriate configuration, this would appear to allow for the possibility of this router being used to route public IP addresses in tandem with supporting NAT/firewall-protected private addresses.  The Huawei router would thus appear to offer considerably more versatility for those seeking or requiring it.  

I have however seen reports of the Huawei router having significantly poorer peak throughput performance when compared with the Sagemcom product.  Is anyone able to confirm (or refute) this?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 9

Yes of course it will give you an invalid IP address error. All addresses on the private side of the router must be private, that is the way domestic routers are designed to function.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi George

That's great 🙂

In regards to your question, @KeithFrench can you help with this please?

Thanks

Debbie

George WIlliams
First Timer
Message 6 of 9

Many thanks, Debbie.  That has done the trick.

One further query on this router, if you attempt to give it anything other than a private IP address, it responds 'Invalid IP address'.  Is there any work around for this?  (The Huawei DG8041W router can be given two separate addresses and they can be on different subnets, seemingly without restriction.)

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 9

Hi George

Sorry for the delay.

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

paulshent
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

This will be picked up by an OCE from Monday onwards.  They only work Monday to Friday