FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagemcom Wi-Fi hub lost 2.4 GHz wireless

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 7

My Sagemcom Wi-Fi hub suddenly lost its 2.4 GHz wireless this afternoon. The symptoms are pretty much as described by @GrayCon in his recent thread. As far as the router is concerned it is working fine but as far as the rest of the world is concerned the SSID is not visible and nothing (*) can connect to it on the 2.4 GHz band. It is fine on 5 GHz and over the ethernet ports. Rebooting or power cycling the router doesn't change anything. Firmware is the version ending in 130 that appeared recently.

(*) I say nothing, but a single Samsung phone did somehow seem to connect to it.

Update: As the 2.4 GHz is still used by a key laptop and a number of mobile phones, if little help, I fired up my portable router while typing the above message (which used a mobile hotspot). Somehow the act of doing so has made the Wi-Fi hub decide it had better get its act together smartish if it doesn't want to get crushed as the SSID suddenly appeared.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 7

The problems with the 2.4GHz band, alas, cannot always be resolved.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 7

That's the way it is as the airwaves get ever more congested I'm afraid. At least you are aware enough of what is going on around you in the immediate vicinity. The 2.4GHz bands are awful, as we move onto narrower bands and devices catch up these issues will hopefully lessen. 

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 7

I just wanted to post a follow up as it does get annoying when you read a post and things are left hanging.

Since moving my router over to channel 6 (from 1), I hadn't experienced any more issues, though I'd also got a couple of 5GHz dongles to minimise the disruption to laptops leaving very little to be trashed. Until today that is. I took a look at what was going on and found the BT Hub 3 (?) that had been making a mess of channel 1 last time around had now decided to make a mess of channel 6 instead, or indeed as well. This could, of course, be coincidence but I assumed it wasn't and moved the hub to channel 11 and restarted the 2.4GHz as it just wasn't there at all. It now seems happy, and just to wind me up the BT Hub 3 has now decided to settle on channel 1 like a good network citizen.

Causation / correlation / coincidence / whatever. I am just highly suspicious of the BT Hubs. Fortunately I have very little left on 2.4 GHz.

0 Likes

GrayCon
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 7

Your problem seems to be more intermittent than mine. After less that half a day the 2.4 band just stopped. The usual comments about interference were made. However as I have cured my problem by replacing the Sagemcom router with my old Huawei in exactly the same position. I feel that it is almost certain that both routers were faulty. I have returned them and hope that they will be investigated. If I were you I would try and get TalkTalk to send you an other router.

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 7

It is certainly a curious one. The issue came back later. It started off with all the devices on the 2.4 GHz band being dropped, though again it still claimed one was attached (which it actually wasn't). The SSID was still visible but nothing could connect to it. Viewing it on inSSIDER, nothing looked particularly unusual, except for a BT hub had appeared on the same channel with its curious non-trapezoidal channel trace. Later the SSID was dropped as well. Just to see what happened I transferred the router over to channel 6 which is the quietest channel at the moment and it immediately started working. I am now picking up the pieces of my Zigbee meshes which I also had to move ...

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Probably down to WiFi interference by a nearby signal obliterating it. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? This has the facility to overwrite any Wi-Fi changes made to the router’s configuration, which will not help rectify this type of problem. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?