FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Router Reboots?

Craighew
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 14

I'm seeing a few wifi niggles with my recent Huawei DG8041w router, in that for no apparent reason the 2.4 Ghz wifi channel gets dropped randomly.  This happens once every 2 to 3 days which isn't too much of an inconvenience but when we're away from home two of our IP security cameras are wifi connected, and they drop out.  Our alexa-enabled smartplugs controlling lamps etc also drop out.

Rebooting the router always restores the wifi so I'm looking for a way to schedule a reboot within the router configuration.

Although some routers have this feature I don't see an option anywhere in my DG8041 router config screens.

Is this possible?

I do know that I could invest in a plug in device like a rebooter dongle or a wifi monitoring plug, but tbh the reviews online aren't so great.  I'd possibly consider using an electronic plug timer (I have one lying around) and set it to switch of at say 3am and come back up at 3.01am.

Any thoughts suggestions?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

I did think this oversight was a shame, as it is the first TalkTalk router for a while now offering guest networks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14
Haha, true you didn't say that.
Although i think its a really useful feature, and we have had our guests use it several times i think I'll disable it until a firmware upgrade allows separation.

Good call Keith....

Thanks
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Now I didn't say you could set them on separate channels, only that they WILL interfere with each other. I highlighted this shortcoming to the developers some time ago when I first tested it. Until the next firmware is released (no date mentioned yet) I will have no idea what has been fixed within it.

I wouldn't, therefore, use a guest network at the moment on this router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14
Not really sure you can allocate them a different channel. See advanced configuration / 2.4g advanced network.

I couldn't see a way of doing it when i set them up.
0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

If they are on the same channel, then, of course, they will interfere with each other. A guest network is just another SSID like from any other wireless AP. So you do need to move them to different channels.

Keith

Message 6 of 14

another quick thought.

I have guest wifi ssid's set up on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I'm fully assuming that having these set up won't be causing any deterioration or interference to the default ssids?

Craig

Message 7 of 14

OK, here's a couple of analyser screenshots.  Very interested in your comments.

These are at the farthest end of my house away from the router, so I think the signal is OK and no competing channels.

Two SSIDs on each channel, but three showing as the analyser is picking up a wifi repeater I'm trialling to boost 5GHz to end of our garden.

As the dropouts are so intermittent I'm awaiting the next one to see if I can spot a cause.

Prior to the fibre install I had a dual band TP-Link modem in exactly the same location for years with no issues at all.

Again thanks for your help.

Craig

Message 8 of 14

Hi @Craighew 

Please be aware that I have no way of knowing any customer skillsets. My guides are not intended to teach you anything, they are purely there to help any customer get me the screenshots from the analyser that I require to diagnose your problem.

Yes, keep restarting the router WILL affect DLM. You would need to look at the WiFi analyser to see what is going on when the problem occurs. 

Your idea to "I'm strongly considering using a digital timer plug to reboot the router either every morning or every other morning at 3am.", makes no sense, it is not necessary at all and with your skills, I would have thought that you would want to diagnose & rectify the problem. Still, I'll leave it up to you, because without any screenshots from your analyser now, or at the affected times, I cannot offer any help at all.

Keith

Message 9 of 14

Keith, thanks for your time and your reply.

I'm an ex-IT manager so know my way around most stuff, no offence intended.....:-)

I'm aware of the detail you mention above and have gone to great pains to ensure both 2.4 and 5GHz bands are using an appropriate channel considering my neighbours wifi etc.

Yes, I already use the band steering feature and it works well, although only our smartphones tend to take advantage of 5GHz

Using a WiFi analyser on my smartphone, I can see which devices are connected to which bands etc and also monitor the wifi strength at various locations around my home and garden.

I must say the wifi strength of the DG8041W seems superb.

The main reason I don't fully believe that my wifi dropouts are caused by interferance is the absolute randomness of the dropouts.  As I said above once every 2 or 3 days.

It happened last week whilst we were away in the caravan, so the house was empty, and I first noticed when I couldn't access 2 or my 3 IP security cameras.  The one I could still access has a wired connection direct to the router.

I'm strongly considering using a digital timer plug to reboot the router either every morning or every other morning at 3am.

Will that affect the lines' DLM settings? 

Again: please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure I'd learn anything from your guide, excellent though no doubt it is.

What I'd be much more interested in is obtaining some detailed instructions about some of the more advanced settings buried within the DG8041W configuration screens.

Craig

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 14
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi @Craighew 

This is a classic case of WiFi interference unless it affects wired devices as well or the light on the router is anything other than its normal white state.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The Huawei DG8041W TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Basic Network Settings

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical and enable the Band Steering option at:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Advanced Network Settings

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi Craighew

Is this only affecting the wireless connection or are wired connections also dropping?

@KeithFrench have you seen this issue with the Huawei WiFi Hub?

Thanks

Debbie

navek
Team Player
Message 13 of 14
craig, its been happening a lot lately. I use alexa for my radio and its been dropping out every couple of hours, then the backon before the router light changes colour, i really dont think a reboot would work in your situation, but everytime you phone for help they say reboot after 30 mins so set your timer for 35 mins off for the reboot, that said I had my router off 43 mins and the guy called me a liar and said it had only been off less than 1 minute... 😞
use your time wisely... you don't know how much you have left!!
0 Likes