FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective internet access on devices (even wired connections)

Trodge
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I had a fault today whereby my wifihub (FAST5364) reported via the GUI, that internet access was available on a laptop connected with an ethernet lead, but it wasn't.

The GUI said all was well and connected to the internet, but various devices, some wired, some wifi could not get access.

At the time, both I and my son were working from home using vpn's and all was fine on our computers (one wired, one wifi) but my wifes' computer gained an ip adress from the router (wired), but would not connect to the internet.

Also various wifi devices could not get access (my phone and tablet).

A power cycle of the router sorted the problem, but this is highly inconvenient when you have to log back in to everything when working from home.

Is there a way to gain access in the future without having to re-start and re-boot everything?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Trodge
Team Player
Message 1 of 11

I'm getting fed up with this now. Had to reboot the router again last night as devices couldn't get internet access even though my son was already watching a film on Netflix. I think my 37Mb  connection should be able to cope with streaming a film and a couple of other devices browsing the internet. I shouldn't have to keep re-booting to solve the problem. The point of broadband is that its 'always on' isn't it?

Please can I take you up on your offer of a replacement router to see if that sorts it out?

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, but I don't see what that would achieve really.

I have already reset the router to factory defaults which should have eliminated any spurious settings.

Aren't there any diagnostic tools that could monitor the router performance over time remotely? There is a definite SNR degradation on this line every evening. I discovered this years ago when you could use a program called 'routerstats' that showed the SNR gradually reduce until the router dropped out.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

Kind regards

Andy

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 11

Hi Trodge,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a different router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

I'm afraid this problem is not  going away and it's getting really annoying now.

I'm not sure, but this seems to be when someone is using a VPN in the house. For the last couple of evenings, our mobile phones or tablets are not getting the internet if someone is using a VPN. The wifi logo is displaying in the corner of the screens, but they are not getting on to the internet.

Are there any other reports of such problems with the hubs?

BTW, what is intensely annoying is when you go on to service status to see if there is a wider issue and you get told that there is a problem with your own set up just because one or two devices out of twenty that occasionally have a weak signal. This is just a way of fobbing people off.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 11

Hi Trodge,

Ok thanks for the update.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Chris,

The connection problem was with firefox browser for some reason. Works fine on Chrome.

The jury is still out on the initial problem though as time will tell.

cheers

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Chris,

I have now rebooted my router and it will not connect to my computer via ethernet cable.

I tried a different cable and input socket, but it was just the same. It's always been slow over ethernet, but this is not right.

I managed to reset the SSID and wifi password via my ipad, but the ethernet cable won't have it at all. I Just keep getting the circle with loading the dashboard message.

I don't know if the original fault is still present as yet.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi Trodge,

You could try Resetting your router to factory settings - this may resolve the issue

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Michelle,

thanks for replying.

It has happened a few times sporadically, but until last week it hadn't mattered so much.

My wife was trying to join a web meeting and my son and I were both logged in to our work applications. Having to re-boot everything was a real pain.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 11

Hi Trodge,

I'm sorry to hear this. Is this happening quite often? Has this happened again since your last post?

Thanks