FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 4.5Mbs on a fast fibre connection in the afternoon

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 17

I am located in Wallasey, Wirral, CH45

Today my speed thorughout the afternoon has dropped to a poor 4.5Mbs when I am paying for 60Mbs

Just me working from home using Teams and Citrix, nothing special.

I have noticed this happen before and expect it will recover back to ~50Mbs this evening. But I need the speed all day!

Screenshot of SpeedTest

IanObr_0-1624890366985.png

Other posts suggest your Network Engineers waive some magic wand and the speed recovers during daytime.

Please waive the wand on my connection.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Ian

No problem 🙂

Router returns bag is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 17

@Debbie-TalkTalk   Please send me a returns bag.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi IanObr

Thanks for your reply.

If you would like to return a router then we can send you a returns bag?

Debbie

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 17

Hi. The issue appears to have resolved itself.

My line speed is now a consistent 40Mbs-ish throughout the day, rising above 50Mbs in the evening.

I am happy with these speeds.

What should I do with the spare router I now have?

Message 5 of 17

Hi

Router on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk  OK. I will try the new router if you send it to me.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 17

Hi Ian,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that there hasn't been an improvement. The line test is still detecting a possible fault towards the property, although the sync speed looks ok. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk  Good morning. I did the 30 minute router power down last night around 10pm.

The speed this morning is still down at 4.5Mbs from a wired device.

What do we do next?

IanObr_0-1625043960011.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Ian,

Ok thank you and please let us know how your speeds compares.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 17

I will power down the router tonight.

During the day I am working and turning it off for 30 minutes is not an option.

Forgot to mention before that all the speed tests I am reporting are through a wired device.

I use a home network through the electric ring main cabling.

I will reply again tomorrow morning when I can check the speed after the router power down.

No point in checking it in the evening as the speed is always up around the 50Mbs at that time.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi,

Ok thank you for confirming. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed and then run a wired speed test please?

Thanks

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 17

My router is plugged into the main socket.

There are no extension sockets.

I do not have an alternative router to test with.

Just a plain vanilla setup like 99% of your customers must have.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Ian,

Ok. Is the router connected to the main socket? Do you have any extension sockets? Do you have an alternative router than you can test with?

Thanks

0 Likes

IanObr
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 17

@Michelle-TalkTalk   Thanks for looking into my issue.

My main socket does not have a test socket.

Right now the speed is 2.9Mbs according to the TalkTalk Speed Test

IanObr_0-1624951776015.png

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 17

Hi Ian,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential issue towards the property. Does your main socket have a test socket? If it does then if possible please can you connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again in this set up.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @IanObr,

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range. If you log into your router to check your sync speed does this show speeds within that estimated range. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to the sync speed shown on your router.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.