FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 35 of 35

Hello,

Hope you are well.

I upgraded to super fibre 65 back in February.

I had a steady 58MB DL speed however few weeks ago the speed dropped to 48MB and now it is constantly 42MB which is above the min speed from the contract ( 45 garanteed )

Speed test are taken from the routeur (Not the talktalk one, it's a Netgear Nighthawk ) with the rest of the network unplugged.

Running a line test doesn't show anything wrong.

Please can you help ?

Thanks

A

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 1 of 35

Hi r0mUK

To book the engineer we would just need you to confirm that you accept the engineer charge and we would ask you to confirm some security information. We would then pass this to our LVR team to contact you and arrange the engineer visit - would you like to go ahead with the visit?

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 35

Thanks.

What is the procedure to book an engineer to install a new master socket? 

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 35

I run my speed test wired.

Also I have a super strong mesh WiFi so it's not the root cause I lost 10 MB 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 35

Hello,

A Low Volume Request engineer (LVR) would only check that the new socket has a dial tone and a connection, they wouldn't diagnose any potential speed or connection issues. However if there was a fault with the connection following this and all testing has been completed then we would arrange a broadband engineer visit to investigate.

Thanks

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 35

Thanks

So the engineer won't diagnose why my speed is low and I will have to book another appointment ( free of charge??) to do so?

R

0 Likes

Message 6 of 35

Hello,

The engineer should test the new socket to ensure that you have a working connection at the test socket and with the faceplate connected.

Thanks

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 35

Thanks Chris,

If I go for moving the master socket, will the engineer be able to check all is OK on my side at the same time and perform some test using the test socket ?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 35

Yes, you should be able to have a new socket installed and wired to the outside as long as long as this is feasible

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 35

Hi Chris, 

Is it moved or can we have a new one installed in a more convenient location and have it wired to the outside cable  ?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 35

Yes we can arrange to have the master socket moved, the cost is £128.40

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 35

Thanks Chris, is there a option to have the master socket moved to a more convenient place ? What would be the cost of that ?

R

0 Likes

Message 12 of 35

Thanks. Line test is now passing but speeds are a bit low. We can arrange an engineer visit but the engineer will almost certainly need access to the test socket to run tests from there

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 35

Hi Chris,

Yes you're right.

In order to unscrew the front plate to access the test socket, I will have to completely remove the washing machine that is built into the cabinet 😕

0 Likes

Message 14 of 35

OK thank, Ideally we would need to test with your router connected to the test socket but I take it this isn't possible due to the location?

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 35

Hi, 

I have another one in the living with only 1 socket (RJ11) however it's not used and there is nothing plugged in it.

R

0 Likes

Message 16 of 35

Thanks for checking that, is this socket the only telephone socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 35

Hello, I managed to check behind the washing machine just tilting it and it seems I have a FTTC plug.

The routeur is plug at the top, there is nothing at the bottom.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 35

Do you happen to know if your master socket has a test socket? Please see Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

r0mUK
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 35

Hi Chris, 

I don't know, the setup hasn't changed since I moved in the house back in 2018.

The plug is behind a washing machine and really not easy to access.

R

0 Likes

Message 20 of 35

Hi r0mUK

There doesn't seem to be any significant increase in speed and line test is now picking up a potential issue. is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes