FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Router

David007
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

I have a ‘Faster Fibre’ package, but my system is running very slowly. [between 14 to 19.6 Mbps download over the last few days]

I have run the Speed Tests [again] today, 15th Nov 2021, and it seems that the problem is the router. Test results show:

‘Speed to your router’ 39 Mbps download

‘Speed to your device’ 14 Mbps download, 7 Mbps upload

I would, therefore, like to replace this existing router with a faster one. There is no point in my paying for a ‘faster’ package [to the router] if my computer only receives a ‘slower’ one [from the router]!

My existing router is a TalkTalk KD04DC6. How do I go about getting the router replaced?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi David007

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

David007
First Timer
Message 2 of 5

Brilliant idea Skynet_TX. I have a smart TV that is hard wired to the router. I have now done the speed check on the TV and it is giving similar poor readings (less then 20mbps), so I guess that this confirms that the router is the cause of the problem.

I have also updated my profile as requested. Thanks very much

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 5

Hi David007

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk landline number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi @David007,

Do you have any devices connected to the router 'wired', if you do, could you try running a speed test from https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/ on them to see if that is also just as slow.

If everything is working properly, a wired speed test should return results pretty close to the sync speed (i.e. the speed to your router). If you have a sync speed of 39 then a wired speed test should give results of 33 - 37 ish. Wireless speed tests could give much different results based on your local Wi-Fi environment.

The speed to your router is good, if you are getting poor speeds to your devices then this could be caused by Wi-Fi interference (if it is only affecting wireless devices). If you get slow speeds on both wired and wireless devices have you tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, as that can often help.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.