FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 27 of 27

Our internet speed is fluctuating and ridiculously slow since being swapped to fibre. 

The line speed seems fine (though we did have to have an engineer out for this as well), so I believe the issue is with the new router we were sent when swapped.

Please can someone arrange for a replacement to be sent? 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 27

Hi fusion101,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you run some more wired speed tests using the TalkTalk Speed Tester when the speeds are good and also when the speeds drop and we can pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

Hey Debbie, the new router is much better during the day, thank you. Unfortunately though, the speed is still dropping in the evening and on weekends for both wired and wifi connections. Below are minimum guarantied speeds. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

Hi fusion101

How are you getting on, have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

Hi fusion101

I've ordered a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 27

No worries, thanks anyway. 

Michelle - Please see my previous post. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

We, as customers, do not have access to TalkTalk's remote access systems. I cannot comment on why there is a difference between what you see & what TalkTalk sees, as I have no visibility of anything unless you share some screenshots from your analyser with me.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 27

Hey Keith,

I’m aware that you can check local wifi interference with diagnostic tools, but having done so, as far as I can see I’m the only person on the channels that I’m on (and have tried multiple channels).

I wasn’t aware that talk talk could also check this information remotely, and wondered if I had access to the same stats they were viewing, as again, I do not see “all local wifi channels as congested”.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Yes, you can check WiFi interference yourself, depending on how much of a techie you are, this is the help that I normally offer. If you are suffering from this, then that interference will still be there, even with a different ISP or router, as it is all down to the number of WiFi networks in your local area & how they are configured.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 27

Hey Michelle, 

It does fluctuate throughout the day, and does sometimes temporarily increase after rebooting the router. I’ve done my best to turn off plugs, sockets, appliances and power adapters while testing.

And are you able to arrange a new router for me?

Also, could you please answer the questions in my post.

“…are you saying that you are able to check the status of congestion of each wifi channel on my router? Am I able to check this myself? as that would be helpful”

“…also, I am thinking about cancelling my account as we haven't received the correct service since being swapped to fibre, is this something I can arrange with you if need be?”

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 27

Hi fusion101,

If the wired speeds are also slow then I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent. Can I just confirm, does it seem to happen at certain times of the day or at random? Does the speed increase if you reboot the router? When connected wired, do you have any powerline adapters connected?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Hi @fusion101 

If you get this on wired connections as well then it is not WiFi interference. I will ask the OCEs to pick this up again for you.

Keith

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 27

Hey Keith, No worries, I think they've enabled private messages anyway, so you're welcome to send it through, thanks. 

Chris, are you saying that you are able to check the status of congestion of each wifi channel on my router? Am I able to check this myself? as that would be helpful. 

Regardless, I was mistaken, I have this issue on wired connections as well. 

Also, I am thinking about cancelling my account as we haven't received the correct service since being swapped to fibre, is this something I can arrange with you if need be? 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

Sorry, I will not send my guide in an open forum, only via a PM. My help is totally free of charge, so it is not unreasonable to make this one small requirement.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 14 of 27

Hi fusion101,

Router stats are showing that all local Wi-Fi channels are congested so I don't think another router will help. It's probably best to take Keith up on his kind offer to send you his guide.

Chris

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 15 of 27

I'd rather you send any information through here. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

I have just tried to send you a PM, but you do not as yet have PM's enabled. Please request on here that TalkTalk enable them for you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 27

By all means, if you think there's something else I can check let me know. If not, the only thing I can do moving forward is request talk talk send a replacement router and hope that's the issue. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

I only meant to tell me if you wanted my help, if you'd rather TalkTalk replace the router, that is between you & them.

Keith

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 27

I’ve looked at your reply but I’m not sure what you want me to read?

I appreciate that slow speeds might be caused by wi-fi interference, and that the ISP is not responsible for this. However, I didn’t have this issue prior to setting up this new router, which suggests that the issue is with the router, not the environment.

I suppose it’s possible that others in my local environment have coincidently changed their set ups at the same time, causing interference. If there’s some way I can check this I am happy to. As far as I can see though there are no new or changed networks showing around me.

I’ve also checked different locations for the router, the appliances around it, as well as plugs, sockets and extension cables, as well as the locations of the devices trying to connect, and how many devices are connected, etc.

None of this has made any difference, and speeds still fail when standing right next to the router.

It’s also possible that there’s a setting on this router which was adjusted on my previous router already, and I just need to change it to match.

However, I’ve checked the bands, and seeing that this problem is present on either, that doesn’t seem to be the cause. Likewise, I have checked different channels, and there’s no change there.

If there’s something else you think I could try then I’m happy to.

Likewise, if you have a guide you feel would be helpful then by all means send me a link.

And if I've missed something else in your reply, please let me know.

However, if not, since there’s nothing else to try, I’d like talk talk to arrange a replacement router.

0 Likes