FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 27 of 27

Our internet speed is fluctuating and ridiculously slow since being swapped to fibre. 

The line speed seems fine (though we did have to have an engineer out for this as well), so I believe the issue is with the new router we were sent when swapped.

Please can someone arrange for a replacement to be sent? 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 21 of 27

Please read my previous post.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

fusion101
Popular Poster
Message 22 of 27

Wired connections are fine, but both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz wi-fi bands are slow. 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The Huawei DG8041W TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Basic Network Settings

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical and enable the Band Steering option at:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Advanced Network Settings

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 24 of 27

Hi fusion101

I'm sorry to hear this.

Is this also affecting wired connections?

Have you tried splitting the SSID's? Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

0 Likes

Message 25 of 27

Hey, 

The Router Model is "DG8041W - 2.T5"

There is only one light on the front and it is a steady white. 

Wried connections seem fine. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 26 of 27

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it)?
2. What is the exact status of the lights on the front of the router when this happens?
3. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith