FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sync Speed

LittleReggie1
Team Player
Message 30 of 30

Hi.

I have noticed a gradual drop in sync speed over the last month or so, from my usual (around 20Mb) down to less than 10Mb at this time. I reported this over the phone a few days ago and after some diagnostics by the agent I was sent a new router. My new router has apparently synced at 9.76Mb, according to the dashboard.

My question is, do I need to leave things alone for a while and hope the speed improves by itself, or is something else wrong?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Message 21 of 30
Hi.

Nothing seems to have changed this morning. I'm quite happy to leave this for a bit longer as I still have a stable internet connection. One thing I have noticed is that there don't appear to be any transmit or receive errors when I look at the WAN statistics in the advanced router settings? I don't really know if that is relevant.

Thanks.
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 22 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if there is no improvement by tomorrow.

Thanks

Message 23 of 30

Ok, I've just plugged the router into the test socket today (Saturday, 8th August at 4.15pm) using a new micro-filter. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1

Thanks for your reply.

It will be fine to power down the router to connect it at the test socket.

Would it be ok to leave the router at the test socket for 48hrs, without rebooting and we can check the connection stats again on Monday morning to see if DLM has made any changes to the line profile/speed in this set up?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 25 of 30

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for looking into this.

The only time the router has been rebooted is when I installed it on Wednesday (5th August) midday and later that evening when I powered it off for 40 minutes. I haven't checked the router yet today, but yesterday it looked like there was a re-sync in the early hours of the morning?

The router is not plugged into the test socket at the moment and I haven't tried it (or the previous router) at any time in the test socket. I can do this but it means another disconnection? Is it better to power the router off or just pull the DSL cable out? I believe I have an Openreach NTE5a master socket with VDSL faceplate attached, so should presumably remove everything back to the NTE5a and use a micro-filter?

Thanks.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 26 of 30

Hi LittleReggie1

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 9.7mb.

I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed. Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Is the new router connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 27 of 30

Looks like you need an OCE to check your line and connection

Message 28 of 30

Thanks for your reply.

I have added some basic profile info. Initially, I didn't leave the router disconnected for more than a minute or two. I have since powered it off and left it for forty minutes or so. The router has synced at exactly the same speed. Perhaps the following will be useful?

DSL synchronization status:Up
Connection status:Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):3693
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):9998
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):3876
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):32128
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):5.6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):20.3
Line standard:Vdsl2_Vectoring_ANNEX_B
Upstream line attenuation (dB):9.8
Downstream line attenuation (dB):25.4
Upstream output power (dBm):7.2
Downstream output power (dBm):11.3
DSL up time:0 day 0 hour 44 minutes 13 seconds

paulshent
Community Star
Message 29 of 30

Hi

First thing did you leave the router connection down for 35 mins. If not then power down router for 35 mins then power back on. This will for BT line to create a new profile. With luck the download speed will go back to normal.

Also please ensure your user profile, contains a telephone number, Your name and possible contract number.

No one else apart from yourself and TalkTalk can see this info.

Without this profile information an OCE will be unable to pick up your ticket for help.