FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Wi-Fi speed, again :(

MrWebster
Team Player
Message 42 of 42

Hi, I reported this issue some months ago and it righted itself after about a week.

The issue is an incredibly slow connection that affects all devices. Youtube videos, for example, buffer at 240P resolution.

Troubleshooting on a laptop says that the laptop appears to be configured correctly but the device or DNS server is not responding.

Speed checks (when they work) show download speeds averaging around 3 Mbps and upload speeds a bit higher than that.

Are any other customers experiencing the same?

What could be causing the slow speed, please? And why does it right itself after about a week? Thank you for your time

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm, is it definitely only the wireless speeds which are low? Are the speeds ok if you run a few wired speed tests?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 42

Hi Chris. No, the results are inconsistent even when the speed is checked every couple of minutes.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 11-39-17 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-23 at 11-35-01 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-23 at 11-26-28 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-23 at 07-26-56 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-23 at 11-40-56 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

If you run a couple of speed tests from each location about 10 minutes apart are the results consistent at each location

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 42

Hi Chris, thank you for your continued assistance. The router is by the kitchen door which opens into the hall. I can't think of anything that would be interfering. We don't use a microwave oven.

If there is interference, I'm wondering why the upload speed remains around the same in different locations. I'm also wondering why the download speed result in the bedroom compared to the half-landing result is so drastically different (0.7 Mbps vs 31.5 Mbps respectively), as the bedroom is only about 10 feet from that location.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 42

Thanks for trying that. You say your router is in your kitchen, is it anywhere near a microwave or white goods as these can cause interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 42

Hi, we don't currently have a cable.

I tried moving a laptop to different locations in the house to test the Wi-Fi, just to have something to try without a cable. We've done this before with no real difference in results; however, this time there was a difference.

The router is in the kitchen plugged into the main socket with microfilters.

First test, in the lounge (23 feet away from the router):

Download: 29.2 Mbps

Upload: 9.3 Mbps

(A phone from the same location got 8.1 Mbps as its download speed, taken straight after the above reading.)

Second test, on the half-landing, half-way up the stairs (about 20 feet away from the router):

Download: 31.5 Mbps

Upload: 9.2 Mbps

Third test, upstairs in a bedroom (less than 20 feet away in a straight line from the router up through the ceiling to the room):

Download: 0.7 Mbps

Upload: 8.0 Mbps

The third test's download speed is such a drastic difference to the other 2 tests in a negative sense, yet the upload speed is almost as strong as the first 2 tests that had faster download speeds. Does this tell us something? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 42

Hi MrWebster,

Is there any possibility that you can test with a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable, so that we can see if this is just a wireless issue?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 42

Hi, the slow speed affects all devices. To confirm, you have sent us 2 routers - a TalkTalk Hub and a Huawei router. We are using the TalkTalk Hub. The Huawei router is still in its packaging.

Here are some more attached speed test results. As you can see, the upload speed seems to be consistently around 9 Mbps while the download speed is poor. If we can get 9Mbps upload speed (when uploads are supposed to be slower than downloads), does this show the router is working at least, it's just the download speed is poor?

Screenshot 2021-10-21 at 00-35-16 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-21 at 11-22-44 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-21 at 01-12-44 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

Hi MrWebster

Is the slow speed only on one device? Have we recently sent you a replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 42

Hi, we switched off the router for about 40 minutes, as advised.

Speed test results:

19:26pm

Download: 4.3 Mbps

Upload: 9.4 Mbps

20:38pm

Download: 4.2 Mbps

Upload: 9.4 Mbps

Very similar results taken just over an hour apart. Is there a clue for someone who knows better than I that the upload speed is higher than the download speed?

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 19-26-19 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.pngScreenshot 2021-10-20 at 20-38-08 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

OK thanks, have you tried switching the router off for 30 minutes, this will force the start of a new session and is worth trying if you haven't already?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 42

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

Yes, the automated voice reads out the correct phone number.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 42

Thanks for running the speed tests, could you just try dialing 17070 from your TalkTalk landline and confirm that the number read back to you is your number

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 42

Hi,

Speed check results, taken from a laptop about 20 feet away from the router. Screenshots should be attached to this reply.

11:39am

Download: 1.1 Mbps

Upload: 7.5 Mbps

12:58pm

Download: 0.9 Mbps

Upload: 9 Mbps

13:24pm

"Could not connect to the test server..."Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 13-24-46 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 12-58-58 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 11-39-07 Run a broadband speed check with TalkTalk.png

0 Likes

Message 15 of 42

Hi MrWebster,

Could you run 3 speed tests at least 15 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker and let us know how you've done  this

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 42

Hi again. Thank you everyone for your contribution to this thread, I appreciate your taking the time to assist. The laptop that couldn't detect Wi-Fi connections can't recognise other routers either so you were correct that it was at fault.

With the devices remaining however I'm back to square one, with the same issue that brought me here; Wi-Fi works okay for a while then youtube streaming even at SD resolutions comes to a halt.

Speed tests taken yesterday at https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

Download: 2.9 Mbps

Upload: 5.1 Mbps

Download: 1.1 Mbps

Upload: 2.4 Mbps

Download: 5.4 Mbps

Upload: 9.2 Mbps

Download: 1.6 Mbps

Upload: 9.3 Mbps

So the upload speed is higher than the download speed. I don't know if that helps any. The speed results are similar using different devices.

It works fine for a while with download speeds around 25 Mbps then it comes to a standstill, usually for about a week at a time, then rights itself. Were thinking of renewing our contract to go with the 60 Mbps package, but we're presently reluctant to take the plunge when we're having persistent problems with the 40 Mbps connection.

Any idea why this is happening, please? Thank you

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

Hi MrWebster,

Yes unfortunately it does sound as though there's a fault with the laptop

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 42

Hi @MrWebster glad to see @Michelle-TalkTalk on the case. If you had a pc of that age and software I'd suggest putting in a new WiFi card, as it is I'd suggest a new laptop, sorry you won't appreciate this suggestion. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 42

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk,

It's been a bit erratic but, yes, that's correct;  all devices except for the laptop can connect. Windows Network Diagnostics says "There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection adapter" and "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter", but in Device Manager (Windows 7), it says the network adapters have the best driver software already installed. The laptop is part of a Homegroup but can't connect to a network.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 42

Hello,

Apologies for the confusion, can I just confirm that it it just this laptop that won't connect and all other devices connect ok?

Thanks

0 Likes