FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband after Fibre 35 upgrade and internet dropping out

hirundinidae
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 9

Upgraded to Fibre 35 in May with guaranteed speed of 26Mbps. Everything OK until beginning of August when speed dropped to average of 5Mbps and internet started regularly dropping out (2 to 3 times an hour) just long enough for router to find it again. Very annoying when trying to watch streaming programmes on Smart TV.

Been on to Service Centre and tested speed (9Mbps into router and 5Mbps out of router) nowhere near guaranteed speed. Then got email saying you've tested my line and connection looks to be working as it should, it obviously isn't, and if I still have issues to go to Service Centre and live chat. Tried that but when I clicked on button to start chat nothing happened, very frustrating.

I bought a new Talktalk Hub router as I thought the old one may be past its best but no improvement. I have speed tested the new router with a device 12 inches infront of it (5Mbps)

No changes have been made to the in house set-up since the upgrade when everything was working OK so I would appreciate it if you could give your end a once over  and get things back to how the were in May to July.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi hirundinidae

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

hirundinidae
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 9

Hi Michelle,

I've turned the router off for 30 minutes and run a wired speed test as you suggested.

I'm pleased to say that the download speed came in at 36Mbps, upload at 6Mbps.

Tried again with wifi and the speeds were approximately the same.

Everything seems OK at the moment, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Morning,

Thanks for the update. The current sync speed looks good. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a wired speed test please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 4 of 9

Hi @hirundinidae,

Yes, if the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system reduced your speeds due to the repeated drop outs then it will increase them again once it is happy things are stable, however it will drop speeds more quickly than it will increase them, @Michelle-TalkTalk did mention in her reply that the sync speed had increased, so that it likely to be DLM gradually starting to increase your speeds again. With a fibre connection DLM will only adjust your profile once every 24 hours, in the early hours of the morning. So you may find that over the coming days your router will drop its connection in the early hours of the morning, this will be DLM adjusting your profile. 

So the best thing to do is to just leave the router switched on 24x7 and see if DLM does bring the speed back up to acceptable levels.

hirundinidae
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 9

Hi Michelle,

The connection does indeed seem stable now, I've had no drop-outs since the weekend. However the speeds I am getting are still very low : Download averaging 4.8Mbps over the last 5 days, Upload averaging 6.2Mbps over the same period. Reply from Skynet _TX below states that the street cabinet will reduce speeds when repeated drop-outs occur in order to improve stability, if that's the case shouldn't it also increase speeds when stability improves?

My problem now is I am not getting the  speeds guaranteed when I started the new contract. I know you keep testing the line and say you've found no faults but obviously something is not right. Please fix the speed problem or I will reluctantly have to switch provider after over 14 years with TalkTalk. Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 9

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and I can see that the sync speed has increased in the last 48hrs and the connection also now looks stable. What speeds are you seeing at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

TommyD
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 9

TT have a huge issue with thier DHCP, I told them this years ago - and I have a router that actually reports these issues back to me, its an industrial-level router. Unfortunately it sounds like you are suffering these issues. If you have the means, use a router that can report it (not many do, I'm sorry to say), and post the logs back here. I still get the DHCP errors, they ignore them, but gave up reporting them many moons ago as they decreased from a few timeframes a day to probably once a day, after they made significant changes to my configuration their side.

Heres my log for from tonight:

Jul 22 00:53:37 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(469): eth1: Deauth_ind <removed>, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4)
Jul 22 01:34:54 DSL: Link up -> down
Jul 22 01:34:59 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jul 22 01:34:59 nat: apply redirect rules
Jul 22 01:35:04 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Jul 22 01:35:14 DSL: Link down -> up
Jul 22 01:35:19 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Jul 22 01:35:19 rc_service: wanduck 229:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Jul 22 01:35:24 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jul 22 01:35:30 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_vlan3880_vlan3880)
Jul 22 01:35:31 wan: finish adding multi routes
Jul 22 01:35:31 miniupnpd[27249]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Jul 22 01:35:31 miniupnpd[17826]: version 1.9 started

This repeats about 8 times in total, thats the most recent.

I had to battle to get my connection stable, so I do not envy your struggle getting it sorted, however I sincerely hope you do.

All the best.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @hirundinidae,

When you say the internet is 'dropping out', do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

If your router is losing its connection to the internet regularly then this will have a knock on effect on your speeds, the equipment in the street cabinet will reduce your speeds in an attempt to make your connection more stable, any more than 5 or so drops in a 24 hour period is likely to start reducing your speeds.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem (although you may need to leave the router connected at the test socket for 72+ hours before you would start to see a speed increase if this was the cause of the problem).

The staff here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes