FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband in evenings since changing to fibre 35

RN2021
Team Player
Message 57 of 57

We were changed to fibre35 at the beginning of April. We were also sent a talktalk hub router. We are 2km from the cabinet. Most days the download speed is about 18Mbps ( we were getting about 13 on adsl). But most evenings the speed drops to below 1 ie unusable. I didn't check the evening speed on adsl as it was never an issue. An open reach engineer has been out and updated the master socket and some connectors, no line fault shows up on testing. I have switched off the router on 4 occasions and 3 times the speed has improved but I am not sure that the router should need to be switched off every evening. No other equipment has changed. I logged onto the router tonight and the dashboard says the current download speed to the router is 25 but the measured download speed on the talktalk speed checker is 1. Does anyone know if the speed on the router dashboard is correct. If it is why should the router slow down every evening?

0 Likes
56 REPLIES 56

Message 1 of 57

Hello,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 57

Broadband has been fine since Thursday. So hopefully its fixed although with lockdown easing it might be more people are going out at night and not using the Internet so much. We shall see. Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 57

Hello,

Thanks for the update. I did ask our team to check this when I initially passed this over for investigation. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 57

Hi

The Cube engineer has just been and found no internal fault. The fault has been referred back to talktalk and they have booked an openreach engineer to come tomorrow.

The engineer did say that he thought the problem might be congestion at the cabinet or the exchange but he doesn't have access to them.

I will let you know what happens.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 57

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 57

Engineer is coming Wednesday afternoon 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 57

Hello,

I've passed this over to our Network Team now and I will post back here as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 57

That would be great. Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 57

Hi,

Ok, would you like us to raise this over to our Network Team first so they can check for any issues? 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 57

Hi

An openreach engineer has already been. He has changed the master socket, some connectors and the wires in the cable. This has increased the maximum download speed from 19 to 24. He thinks the problem is that we are over 2km from the cabinet. I can understand that we wouldn't get the full 35Mbps being so far from the cabinet but I don't see that this would cause the speed to drop below 5 most evenings and the occasional morning.

What else could another engineer do?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 57

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. The sync speed still looks like it is varying a bit. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 57

Hi

It's not the phone interfering with the router. I had the phone unplugged Friday and the speed dropped to 1 at 530pm.

Its not the tv either as I left that switched off all day Saturday and the speed dropped to 1.7 at 8pm.

So since we got the 2nd Huawei router:

Monday speed dropped to 5.8 at 9pm but back up to 10 at 945pm. 

Tuesday 19Mbps at 9am, 11 at 9pm and 2.6 at 10pm. 

Wednesday 1Mbps at 8am. Router changed to test socket 9am speed 20. Speed 14 at 8pm and 0.6 at 2115pm.

Thursday 940am speed is 24. 830pm speed is 0.2. Switched router off for 30mins speed then 15.

Friday 830am speed 13. 520pm speed is 1. Router turned off. Router on again 7pm speed 23, speed drops to 6 at 9pm, 2 at 930pm but up to 17 at 10pm.

Saturday 8am 9.3Mbps, 9am 23Mbps. At 8pm drops to 1.7, router switched off for 30 min at 930pm speed is 14 and at 10 pm is 20.

I think the pattern suggests it is slow at times of peak Internet use but logging into the router on 192.168.l.l suggests the current speed to the router is always 24 to 27. However I think this is the speed the router detects each time it reconnects to the Internet rather than a measurement in real time. However I am not sure why switching the router off improves the speed if the problem is congestion of the network.

Any ideas what to try next?

Sunday night: no problems.

So thats 2 evenings this week with no problems and a total of 6 evenings in the 6 weeks since we were changed to fibre and the Huawei router.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 57
0 Likes

Message 14 of 57

Thanks I will try that tonight

0 Likes

Message 15 of 57

Hi RN2021,

Thanks for the information 

Sync speed is currently 25.9Mbps. The micro-filter is supposed to stop the phone interfering with the router but it's probably worth testing the phone temporarily disconnected to just see if it is causing any interference 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 57

Hi

When I plugged the router in the test socket yesterday morning the speed increased to 20. It was fine all day then dropped to 14 at 8pm and then 0.6 at 915pm. I left the router switched on all night and this morning the speed is 18. When I log onto the router via 192.168.l.l the connection time suggests it disconnected  and reconnected about 4am. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the speed going back to normal.

One suggestion to solve this problem is to go back to adsl instead of fibre as this problem has only started since we were put on fibre and with the Huawei router. However I notice that the talktalk service centre measures the speed to the router at midnight at 24Mbps and logging onto the router via 192.168.l.l measures the speed to the router between 24 and 27. If these speeds are correct the the problem is with the router or something interfering with it so going back to adsl wouldn't help.

I unplugged the cordless phone yesterday, today I have shifted it to another room(unplugged and power to base unit switched off ). The ordinary phone is still plugged in to the test socket with the router via the micro filter. Do you think I should unplug the ordinary phone as well? I thought the microfilter was supposed to stop the phone interfering with the router.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 57

Hi @RN2021 can't blame it on the kids then, just a thought. I do hope @Chris-TalkTalk can get to the bottom of it for you 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 18 of 57

Thanks for connecting to the test socket, look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 57

There are 2 of us here

0 Likes

Message 20 of 57

Hi @RN2021 and team forgive me butting back in. Are you alone in the house when the speed speed drops or is there is there are others present? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.