FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband in evenings since changing to fibre 35

RN2021
Team Player
Message 57 of 57

We were changed to fibre35 at the beginning of April. We were also sent a talktalk hub router. We are 2km from the cabinet. Most days the download speed is about 18Mbps ( we were getting about 13 on adsl). But most evenings the speed drops to below 1 ie unusable. I didn't check the evening speed on adsl as it was never an issue. An open reach engineer has been out and updated the master socket and some connectors, no line fault shows up on testing. I have switched off the router on 4 occasions and 3 times the speed has improved but I am not sure that the router should need to be switched off every evening. No other equipment has changed. I logged onto the router tonight and the dashboard says the current download speed to the router is 25 but the measured download speed on the talktalk speed checker is 1. Does anyone know if the speed on the router dashboard is correct. If it is why should the router slow down every evening?

0 Likes
56 REPLIES 56

Message 21 of 57

Hi

The speed has gone up to 20. I think the Internet has been slow in the mornings sometimes in the past but I thought it was lack of coffee on my part so I didn't check the speed. Later in the morning the speed has been normal without me doing anything.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 57

I have connected it to the test socket now. I will let you know what happens

0 Likes

Message 23 of 57

Hi,

Would it be possible to connect the new router back at the test socket just to rule this out?

Thanks

Message 24 of 57

Hi

I put the faceplate back on the master socket before plugging in the new router so it wasn't in the test socket. Would that make a difference?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 57

Morning,

Thanks for the update. If the speeds are now also slow of a morning too and you've already tested with 2 different routers at the test socket and connected wired then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like us to arrange this for you and we can confirm some details?

Thanks

Message 26 of 57

Hi

The speed this morning is 1.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 57

Hi

The broadband was fine until 830pm when it was suddenly very slow. I'm not sure if you can see the speed test, it was 0.2 but the page had trouble connecting to the server. After switching the router off for 30mins the speed is 15.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 57

Hi RN2021

Thank you. Please can you also run the speed tests on the TT speed tester so we can see the results.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 29 of 57

No. I didn't try the pc. The wired and WiFi speeds have always been similar. If the speed drops this evening ( it drops most evenings but not every evening) I will get a wired speed

Message 30 of 57

Hi RN2021

Thanks for keeping us updated.

When the speed is dropping is this also on wired devices?

0 Likes

Message 31 of 57

Hi

The new router arrived on monday. It has been fine during the day. Monday evening the speeds dropped to 5.8 at 9pm but this was good enough to stream bbc iplayer. However tuesday evening the speed dropped to 11 9pm then 2.6 at 10pm which was too slow for streaming. I have left the router on and this morning the speed is 24.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 57

Hi RN2021

No problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 33 of 57

Thanks 

Message 34 of 57

Hi RN2021

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 35 of 57

Yes please

Message 36 of 57

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. I've re-checked the connection stats now and the sync speed looks like it has started to stabilise since I last checked this. Would you like us to send a different router for testing purposes first before we raise this over to our Network Team?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 37 of 57

Hi

No I only have the one router. I returned the previous router to talktalk. The speed dropped to 0.9 just after 9pm last night but is up to 13 now. The router has been on all night. I haven't turned it off again.

The speed when I log onto the router via 192.168.l.l has been 26 consistently for at least the last 24 hours. But I am not sure if this is measured in real time or an estimate.

0 Likes

Message 38 of 57

Morning,

If the speed increases immediately after the router has been switched off/rebooted then this does suggest a possible router issue. Can I just confirm have you recently tested with a different router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 39 of 57

Hi

The download speed before I switched the router off was 23.3. After switching the router back on it is 25.4

I last switched the router off on sunday afternoon (after the speed had been 3 all day which is the only day it has been slow all day). Sunday evening the internet was usable - I didnt measure the speed but it would have been more than 5

0 Likes

Message 40 of 57

OK thanks. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest

Chris

0 Likes