FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow but Stable 150mb service

madhatter10
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

I had the 150mb G-fast connection installed a couple of months ago. When it was installed the speed for the first couple of weeks was about 120mb, but since then it has dropped and has now stabilized at about 30mb.

This is well below the guaranteed speed. Is there anything I can do to get this sorted. I raised a fault and was run through loads of steps on chat. An engineer was then sent out who checked the service and said there was a fault in the Openreach connectivity between my house and the exchange. A couple of days later the fault was closed without any service improvement. So I raised a second fault, went through all of the checks again on chat. I have heard nothing since, but the fault has again been closed without any improvement in the service.

I suppose my main question is... how do I actually get this fixed as raising a fault has got me no where. The only option I see is moving to another supplier when the 30 days since I raised the problem has elapsed. I would prefer to get this fixed. The service started at 120mb and was totally reliable at that speed, so just want to try and find a way to get the service back.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Greatmaker1975
First Timer
Message 1 of 15

This is the nightmare that i am going through at the moment.  i have had 2 openreach engineers and a talktalk engineer out.  the talktalk engineer can find no fault in the house and the Opern reach engineers both say that the issue is the openreach cables from the cabinet.  i am on fibre 150 so my guarenteed speed is supposed to be 107mbps the taltalk test site shows ann averare of 30mbps to the router and it is in no way stable.  the conection drops multiple times a day with light s going out on the openreach modem and static on the phone line.  Openreach say that the cables ae rated for 80mbps (although at the start of the contact i was getting around 120mbps to the router this has steadily dropped until about a month ago then about 2 to 3 weeks ago this awful connection.  Open reach suggested my speeds be downgraded to 80mpbs to fix the spped and stability issue as although then i would not get 107mbps + i would get a consistent of close to the 80mbps.  talk talk want me to take out another 18 or 24 month contract and will not downgrade me without one.  this is not right or fair as i am not getting the service i pay for now, why would i ant to sign another contracts when they haven't fixed the issue yet.

anyway now i am waiting on a new talktalk router as they tell me a third openreach engineer (that i never saw) has recommended this.  not sure how that will fix the stability at the openreach modem before the router but i have no choice but to try their suggestion ... thinking vodafone or Now for my next ISP in 3 month if this isn't resolved to my satisfaction... they can't be much worse than talktalk 

and so it begins
0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi madhatter10,

If you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm :

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

I believe that if you raised a fault about the line within the initial 30 days and have provided time for TT to resolve, but have not been able to you should still be able to cancel without penalty, as it is based on your initial fault.

If the issue is between your house and the exchange, going to another Service provider will not resolve the issue.    You could ask TT for a reduce rate since the service has been less than what you were expecting and what they should have provided.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Could you please arrange a visit. The speed is still rarely above 30mb so it would be good to have it fixed.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi madhatter10,

We can now arrange engineer visits. If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi,

Is there any possibility in getting a reduction to my monthly charges as the speed has been significantly below the guaranteed minimum for a couple of months now. My only alternative would appear to be to change providers as they would need to provide an engineer visit to setup and correct any issues before installation.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. If the set up has not changed since the engineer install then this would be a Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

also, i can confirm that nothing has changed since the installation of the service, except the speed which has reduced dramatically.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Is this an OpenReach engineer repair visit as I have already had a Talk Talk Engineer visit.

When are you expecting to be able to arrange a visit as I am very close to reaching the 30 days since I first raised the problem and so will be looking at the deals available from other suppliers soon.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 15

Hi madhatter10,

Thanks for confirming this. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a possible issue towards the property. Can I just confirm, has the set up changed at all since the engineer set this up? If nothing has changed then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. At the moment we're only arranging engineer visits for no dial tone/no sync faults (total loss of service) however once the restrictions are lifted then we can arrange a home visit for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Our telephone appears to be working fine. No detectable noise.

We have 4 sockets in total, but only one has anything connected to it.

We have unplugged the phone cable from the master socket and left it for a while, but this had no impact on the broadband speed.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Thanks for trying that. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi,

I have switched off for more than 30 minutes as requested. When turning back on the speed has not improved.

A Talk Talk engineer did come to my house before Christmas and told me that the connection between my house and the exchange had a problem. But I have not received any feedback to indicate that OpenReach were asked to look into the problem.

Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 15

Hi madhatter10,

Could you switch the modem and router off and leave them off for at least 30 minutes, then switch first the modem on then the router and check to see if speed improves - please let us know how you get on

Chris