FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds

astonc2104
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 9

When testing the speed with google or talktalk speed test it reads with my correct download speeds of around 35mbps. I have been a customer for about 2 years now and i have never been able to actually download at these speeds even though the tests read correctly. When im downloading on xbox or from other sources its more like 3mbps. A 100mb file takes around 1 minute to download over a wired or wireless connection. Quite unsatisfied seeing as im on a fibre connection yet im barely getting 10% of the speeds i am paying for.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi astonc2104.

I use Steam and it shows download speeds in MB/s (MegaBytes per second). Your internet connection speed and throughput speeds are measured in Mb/s (Megabits per second). You need to multiply the Steam download speed by 8 to get megabits per second so 3-5MB/s is actually 24Mb/s-40Mbps

Generally if you are downloading files the default setting is to show the download speed as MB/s but this can usually be changed to Mb/s in the apps settings.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9
Dont know how you got 14mbps but even if that is the case. Thats still not even half of the speed I am paying for. Something needs to be done as I am currently looking for another broadband provider.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

When using Steam, Xbox, Ps4, any browser i am getting around 3-5mbps download speeds. I only have 1 of these connected to my router at a time (Wired connection). So either the router I have is faulty or the people who installed my line didnt do it correctly. When i signed up for talk talk fibre i had to have some of your team to come and install a new line for me due to being previously owned to BT. Can you have some one come test my line from home please? 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 9

Hi astonc2104,

If you download a 100MB file in around a minute this would give a throughput speed of around 14Mbps not 3Mbps, other factors can also affect how long it would take to download a file other than the actual speed of your Inter connection.

Chris

Message 5 of 9

I have tried every possible method and nothing has worked. I am still getting around 10% of my current speed package. I have actually had my line tested by an IT engineer and I will be terminating my contract with talk talk. I am very disappointed that I havent been getting the speeds I have been paying for over the last 2 years. Unless you can provide me with the package im actually paying for and some kind of benefit since you haven’t met your end of the contract, i will be taking my custom else where. If you would like some proof then please send one of your engineers to come and take a reading of my current download speeds. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 9

Hi aston,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks ok. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please as this will reset the current session.

Thanks

Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the reply. Just finished my profile. 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Please complete your community forum profile details, @astonc2104, for staff to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard; make sure you put in your landline phone number and a fallback mobile phone number; click finish to save. 

Staff reply during business hours Monday-Friday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.