FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow faster fibre

Fedup8
Conversation Starter
Message 22 of 22

In January 2020 my guaranteed speeds were approx. 51/17 Mbps and I was achieving slightly better performance.

As far as I am aware I have not downgraded my package and I am certainly not paying less, however, my "expected" download speed when tested this afternoon was 27Mbps. Therefore, no fault found.

Throughout last summer, connection speeds fluctuated but I ignored it due to the pressures of Covid-19. My contract is about to expire so I am keen to resolve this issue one way or another.

Please will someone investigate why my connection has become so slow and have the issue rectified?

I look forward to hearing back soon.

Regards,

John

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi John

The sync speed is still within the predicted range for your line.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 34.3 and 30.9mb, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 27.8mb.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Thanks Debbie.

One would think that if the DLM halved the contracted connection speeds, it would flag up an error prompting either a repair or re-negotiation of the contract between TalkTalk and the customer. It's a bit like your newsagent only delivering half of the newspapers you're paying for! 

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi John

I think DLM has been detecting errors on the line (which now shows a fault) This will affect the speed.

Please can you leave the router in your current set up and I will check on this again tomorrow to see if the same fault is detected and if DLM has made any further changes.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi Debbie,

As far as I am aware, the connection is stable.

I had to re-assemble the main socket yesterday morning as I needed the telephone extensions fully functioning.

What I still don't understand is why I'm getting 36/19 when my contract with TalkTalk is for Fibre Boost, or whatever it's called. As I mentioned in my first message, I first noticed a reduction in speed last summer. Prior to that, the connection was actually faster than the estimated speeds quoted by TalkTalk.

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi John

I've checked the connection stats again this morning and the sync speed has started to increase (to 36.5mb from 35.8mb)

However the line test is now detecting a potential fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

How was the connection last night?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Hi John

Thanks for confirming your details.

I've checked and the predicted speed range for your line is showing between 34.3 and 30.9mb, with a guaranteed minimum speed of 27.8mb.

I will check the connection stats again tomorrow to see if the connection has remained stable and if DLM has made any changes to the speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hi John

Yes it should show re connections.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

Hi Debbie,

That's odd. I've just logged in to the router and it shows DSL Uptime 21 hours. Would this not reset if the broadband is disconnected?

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. There appears to be more than 1 re connection showing.

Please can you leave the router switched on without rebooting and I will check the connection stats again tomorrow. If there are still re connections showing then we may need to arrange an engineer visit. Re connections on the line can affect the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Debbie,

I relocated the router to the master socket yesterday morning around 10:35. I haven't touched it since. I haven't had any power cuts either.

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi John

I've checked the connection stats again this morning and the line is in sync at 35.8mb but there are re connections showing.

Have you rebooted the router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Hello,

Thank you and I will check the speed again tomorrow. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Fedup8
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 22

I will leave the router in the test socket until I hear back from you.

Is it difficult to discover the profile configuration? The numbers look very suspicious to me!

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

Hi,

I understand. Would it be possible to post back here in 24hrs so we can re-check this again please now that the router is connected at the test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi Michelle,

My setup never changes. Hence my frustration and irritation!

I have, in the last few minutes, plugged the router into the Open Reach test socket.

Regards,

John

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 22

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. I can see that the sync speed increased and then dropped again. Has the set up changed at all in the last few days?

Thanks

0 Likes

Fedup8
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 22

Yes, I'm paying for the"boost" hence my expectation of the guaranteed speeds mentioned at the beginning of my post.

I hasten to add that my internal setup hasn't changed. My house has not physically moved further from the cabinet. Earlier this year, I was receiving the speeds I'm paying for.

I therefore suggest an irregularity at/in or between the cabinet and my OpenReach socket!

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

If you run a speed test using 4G then that is not using your TalkTalk fibre connection at all, that will be testing the speed of your 4G connection. If you run a speed test from your TalkTalk connection (i.e. from a wired device, or a wireless devices connected to the Wi-Fi rather than 4G) then with a sync speed of 37Mbps you would hope to get speeds around 33 - 35 from a wired connection, you may get less from wireless devices.

The staff here will be able to check what the expected speeds are from your connection. If you are on the 'Faster Fibre' package then the absolute maximum you could ever get would be 40mbps, if you have the 'Speed Boost' with your Faster Fibre then that increases the possible maximum to 80mbps, but the actual sync speed you get is dependent on the length and quality of your line.

EDIT : Actually I now notice you said your upstream sync speed was 16490, so this must mean you are on the 'Faster Fibre with Speed Boost' package, as Faster Fibre is limited to 10000 up, but with the speed boost it has a potential maximum of 20000 up.

0 Likes

Fedup8
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 22

Should read my router synchs down/up - obviously!

0 Likes

Fedup8
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 22

Service centre shows 37Mbps down.

Router synchs at 37135/16490 kbps up/down.

Speed Test is run remotely from TalkTalk, initiated from my mobile on 4G so it has nothing to do with the equipment in my house, other than the VDSL router!

0 Likes