FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre in last few days. Router firmware?

robmcm
First Timer
Message 12 of 12

Hi, my broadband has gone from around a solid 70MBit download to 44Mbit download in the last few days. My upload has also dropped from 18-19Mbit to 13 MBit.

I don't know exactly when it started but noticed it seemed to max out at a steady 38Mbit on 7th May. The speed stayed at 38MBit until the 10th May when it dropped to 9Mbit. I restarted the router it and it went up to 44Mbit where it's been since. Tried restarting again and no change.

I did a line check which said there was an issue and an engineer was sent to the exchange. I've now been asked to book an Openreach engineer visit to my house. However I doubt that will help and do not want to be charged £65 when they no doubt find no fault with my line or socket etc. I think it's a TalkTalk / router problem.

I've noticed in my router logs it says it updated the firmware last night but still slow since then.

I'm on FAST5364 version SG4K100136. I notice a few other recent posts about slow speeds since updating to this firmware.

I can't tell if there was a firmware upgrade around or before 7th May because the router user interface is so horrible (it has 257 pages of logs going back to 1st May and you can't search or filter it, I'm not trawling through all of them!) However, in the logs it restarted on 1st May but the logs  dont go back far enough to show info from before the restart, so that could have been an update.

Is the OpenReach Engineer visit really the best option or is it possible to downgrade the firmware to previous version so I can see if that cures it?

Thanks.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how the stability and speed has been over the last week?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Please let us know how the connection/speed is over the next week or so.

Debbie

0 Likes

robmcm
First Timer
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

Yesterday I came home to see 2 Openreach vans at the end of the street, looks like they were doing something with the telegraph poles leading towards the house. Since then it's been ~54mbit down, 19 up. I guess I can expect it to speed up a bit once it's been stable, that's how fast it was when I first moved to talk talk but then speeds increased over a few weeks.

So I guess they've sorted it this time 🙂 3rd time lucky...

Thanks,

Rob.

Message 4 of 12

Hi robmcm

Openreach have now closed this fault as resolved.

How is the connection today?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi robmcm

Ok, I've passed this fault over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

I will check on this fault again tomorrow for additional updates from Openreach and I will post back on this thread with updates.

Thanks

0 Likes

robmcm
First Timer
Message 6 of 12

Hi, unfortunately I don't have a landline phone to try it with.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi robmcm

I've checked the connection stats and your line is showing in sync at 34mb and the line test is detecting a potential fault with the landline service.

Are you experiencing any faults with the landline service when making calls?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 12

Hi @robmcm,

If you are getting more than 10mbps 'up' then you must be on a Fibre 65 connection, as Fibre 35 only supports a maximum of 10mbps 'up'.

Openreach tend to install those connectors these days when they need to join two sections of wire together, it is common for them to be used to connect the wire that comes from the telegraph pole (if your line is above ground) to the wire that actually runs into your property.

The support team here will be back on Monday and will be able to help further.

robmcm
First Timer
Message 9 of 12

Hi.

I am still having the same problem with speeds.

My line speeds briefly went back up to 65Mbit down, 18up for a day or two a couple of weeks ago, then dropped back to 35Mbit down, 13 up.

These seem suspiciously around the Fibre 35 speeds... is it possible I've somehow been downgraded to Fibre 35 speeds. In my account it still says I'm on Fibre 65.

Since it dropped again, I had done another line test, which said there was still a problem and called out an engineer to the exchange again. I came home to find a small juntion box (looks like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repairing-Telephone-Overhead-External-Connection/dp/B007FB331K/ref=asc_df_B...) on the phone line just before it enters my house. The phone line has not been replaced. Perhaps this was them testing the line at the property and splicing it back together?

I have also tried plugging the router directly into the test socket (with a filter dongle) rather than going through the filter o nthe faceplate but still the same speeds.

Can someone look into this again?

Is there anything you can check or reset on your end? My connection doesn't drop or anything, it's stable at 35 down 13 up, just no where near as  fast as it should be.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 12

Hi robmcm

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can see that this fault has been raised to Openreach and they are now requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi @robmcm,

The support team here will be back tomorrow, they will be able to run some tests on your line to confirm if it is detecting a fault that may need an Openreach engineer to visit your property. If you are noticing the speed drop in gradual steps then this could well be an indication of a fault on the line, as the Openreach DLM system will gradually reduce your speed in an attempt to give you a more stable connection.

If you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).