FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed at master ,no fault on line

Slick500
Participant
Message 10 of 10

Hi all,

Have had slower download speed for some time, seems to be limited to 28 mbits but connection speed nearly 34 mbits. Open reach have visited and could only get around 25 after resetting line but has improved back to 28

I have in the past( over a year ago) had actual download speeds on WiFi of 34 using speed test and TalkTalk promise over 30

Any suggestions who to talk to at TalkTalk as online chat can’t help, they just want to test line which has no faults.

DG8041W connected at master

6E312042-6C6F-4E41-8CCA-A4F73786333C.jpeg

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi Slick500,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Slick500
Participant
Message 2 of 10

@Skynet_TX  Hi, I checked on BT as you suggested, here’s the results

6C63E825-5CB5-4D36-B806-1D81CD56C450.png
Looks like I should be able to get a decent download speed. 35Mbit would be great at this point.

regards

Mick

0 Likes

Slick500
Participant
Message 3 of 10

@Debbie-TalkTalk  Hi Debbie, the router is already in master and has been for over a month. Router was also in master test before openreach changed to filter type master. All speed info is from router in master. This is why I’m now stumped as I can’t do any more on my side of things but openreach saying line ok.

thanks

Mick

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Hi Slick500

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats again and the line is in sync at 27.8mb.

Would it be ok to connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can check to see if DLM makes any changes to the speed/profile?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

Yeah, if you have a guaranteed minimum of 32mbps then something doesn't feel quite right.

It might be interesting to search for your address here, the VDSL lines at the top of the results will show you what speed BT think your phone line could achieve, would be interesting to see if they agree with TalkTalk that your line should be providing faster speeds than it is.

0 Likes

Slick500
Participant
Message 6 of 10

@Skynet_TX 

Hi, I only ever use speeds from router as speeds at devices are variable and are my problem. The issue is the 27828 as my guaranteed speed is 32Mbits download. As I said I have tests from back in 2019 with download speeds over 34Mbits so the line should be capable if in good condition. I have a few users in the house so I need every kbit I can get to stop them moaning😩. I would get faster package if I knew the line could actually deliver it.

thanks for response

0 Likes

Slick500
Participant
Message 7 of 10

@Michelle-TalkTalk  Thanks for response.

My estimated speed is 34 - 40Mbits. The guaranteed speed is 32Mbits. The Openreach engineer could not get higher download than I have on his test equipment. He said I’m unlikely to get much better due to distance from box, but I know this line has actually downloaded over 34Mbits although this was a long while ago, been low for over a year but didn’t pursue during lockdown as waiting for response was very long and other people were in greater need. The engineer fitted a filter master but made no difference after he retested

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear. Can I just confirm, were you provided with a predicted speed range for the line, including a guaranteed minimum? Does your main socket have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Slick500,

The number that matters from your screenshot is 27828, that is the speed your router is actually connected to the street cabinet, if you were to run a 'wired' speed test you should get speeds fairly close to that (probably 24 - 26.5 ish). A speed test over Wi-Fi could give different results as that would very much depend on your local Wi-Fi environment.

The 33568 speed is more of a 'guess' by your router of the maximum speed it thinks it could connect at right at that particular moment, these speeds can vary over time as the amount a background noise on your line will change at different times of the day. You can see that your upload speed (2635) is actually higher than the max speed your router thinks it could achieve (2299), one reason for this could just be that the amount of background noise on your phone line at the moment you took that screenshot is higher that the amount of background noise when the router last connected. The Upstream line rate and Downstream line rate numbers will only change when your router actually reconnects to the internet, but the 'maximum' numbers can change dynamically based on the current noise levels on your phone line.

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your estimated speed range and your guaranteed minimum speed.

Staff here should be able to pick this post up tomorrow, and will be able to check your line for any issues.

0 Likes