FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed, connection dropping

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

Hello, our broadband is awful at the moment. It is incredibly slow, and drops out multiple times a day. We have reset the modem, but it has not helped at all. Can anybody advise about the next steps? 

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi willb13

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 16

Hi Debbie, 

Yes please, there's certainly no harm in trying a new one to see if it improves things. 

Thank you.

Message 3 of 16

Hi willb13

Thanks for your reply.

Would you like me to send you a replacement router for testing to see how the connection compares with a different router?

Debbie

0 Likes

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 16

Hi Debbie,

The line seems to be more stable now, although it has still dropped and flashed blue and orange a few times. 

I received an email saying that I was sent a new router in November and that I should connect it....? We never received a new router, so I'm not sure what that is about!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi willb13

Thank you. I have now reset the data port and optimised the connection and the line is now in sync at 16.3mb.

Please can you monitor the connection over the next 24hrs and let us know how it compares?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 16

Hi @willb13,

The DG8041W is the 'Huawei Wi-Fi Hub', if the router is still dropping its connection when in the test socket (LED flashes amber, then amber/white) then this may well indicate a fault on the phone line, as @Debbie-TalkTalk mentioned the line test did detect a potential issue near the property.

The staff here will be able to pick this up again tomorrow to investigate further, it may be that they will need to arrange an Openreach engineer to come out to investigate the fault that has been detected, but they will be able to confirm the details with you tomorrow.

Connecting the router to the test socket will not immediately improve performance. Trying the test socket is more to just see if the router continues to lose its connection. If the connection did remain stable in the test socket then you would likely see speeds start to increase after 48-72 hours. If the connection is ok in the test socket, but bad in the normal socket, then that would indicate a fault with the socket itself, or with the phone wiring within your home (i.e. some wiring your side of the master socket).

0 Likes

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 7 of 16

Hi Debbie, 

I have connected the router to the test socket this evening, but there was no improvement in performance at all. 

I am not sure of the make and model of the router... it says TalkTalk on the front, and on the back Device Version: DG8041W-2.T5. Does that help?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi willb13

Thanks for your reply.

Have you removed the face plate and connected the router at the test socket?

Which make and model of router are you using?

0 Likes

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I believe so. It looks like it is a NTE 5C socket.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16
0 Likes

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 16

Hi Debbie,

Do you mean is the router plugged in as normal? If so, then yes, it is plugged into the socket.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hi willb13

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which has detected a potential fault towards the property. Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

0 Likes

willb13
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 16

Hello, 

I have updated my profile with the relevant information.

The router often loses connection with the internet - the light flashes orange and blue, usually for 2 - 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes the light stays blue, but the speed is very slow - pages don't load online, or if we are trying to watch iPlayer or Netflix through our Freeview box, the images are too blurry to watch, or it buffers constantly and won't play at all. We have tried using a wired connection with a laptop, but it does not seem to make a difference.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi willb13

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @willb13,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.